Recipe Suggestions ? Want to try something new.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaspar Navarrete

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Up until now, my soap batches have been combinations of olive oil, palm oil, castor oil, and coconut oil.

I'd like to try a different recipe. Can anyone suggest a recipe ? I have a good amount of olive oil, coconut oil and bacon grease (lard). I also have a little bit of red palm oil.

Note that I'm still a beginner. I have made seven batches.

I was wondering about avocado oil. People say it's wonderful to include, but the soap won't keep as long.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you haven't tried a Salt bar, those are really nice.

100% CO.
Or 85% CO. 5% Castor and 10% something else (OO/AO/shea/whatever you like)
Or 90% CO with 10% Castor.

20% SF on any of those. I like 50% sea salt weight in my bars, but folks go from 20% to 100% weight. They need a good 3 months cure to shine. Put in individual molds to make life easy on yourself otherwise you have to watch them like a hawk and cut as soon as they are hard enough (1-4 hours) so they don't make a crumbly mess.

Of course, I love a high lard recipe: 55% lard, 5% Castor, 15% CO and the rest in OO. 5-7% SF. I've never used bacon grease, but I'd make sure it's really clean.

Those are just what I like though. :)

I don't know where they got the idea avocado oil would go off fast. I use it in all my soaps, as do several others here, and none of my batches have developed any problems. Some are over a year old.

I just made a few batches of 100% and aloe juice and it's my new favourite!

100% what? OO?

I don't know where they got the idea avocado oil would go off fast. I use it in all my soaps, as do several others here, and none of my batches have developed any problems. Some are over a year old.

I agree. I use 30% avocado oil in a LOT of my soap and no problems at all. My oldest soap is 9 months old. So babies, really.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Sounds like I can replace the coconut and/or palm oil with the lard. Don't know what to do with the avocado oil. People have said that avocado oil makes a great soap.

I am cleaning the lard. I melt it, then mix it with water, let it settle, dump the water out. Repeat a few times.

Don't know what to do with the avocado oil. People have said that avocado oil makes a great soap.

At least try it once, it does make awesome soap! I tried it for the first time in soap a while back and although I have been very familiar with avocado oil for years on end as it is my favourite oil in my rubs and lipbalms, I had never used it in soap as I started out a year ago + some months, and very much consider myself a newbie still. I now use avocado regularly, and it is a favourite oil of mine in soap!

I've only used avocado oil once, in a facial soap which is curing now and is super soft - like mould it in your hands soft. I was a bit dubious about using it again. Does anyone have a particular recipe to share, as I have quite a bit of AO left??

I've liked 25% Coconut and 75% Olive at 5%sf and 33% water. If you can get it, Castor Oil at 5-15% (added to above, subtract from Olive) works great (sf and water conc as above). Olive 85-95% with Castor 5-15% at 5%sf and water:lye 2.5:1 is my favorite for swirling. I usually add at least 1 Tbsp sugar in water before lye or use a saturated sugar solution. Best of luck with your soapy adventures and happy soaping!

I've only used avocado oil once, in a facial soap which is curing now and is super soft - like mould it in your hands soft. I was a bit dubious about using it again. Does anyone have a particular recipe to share, as I have quite a bit of AO left??

Susieoz
Try
40% OO, 30% AO, 10% Shea butter, 10% RB (or coconut or safflower high oelic or Palm) and 10% castor.
It's a modified Ginnys shampoo bar for skin not hair.

I was blaming oils on soft bars but I think it was my method.

Last edited:
My favorite additions to my basic recipe are avocado oil, oatmeal ground to a fine powder, and any kind of "milk"... buttermilk, coconut milk, goat's milk. I find that even 10% avocado makes a noticeable difference.

I regularly use avocado oil at 10%. Then make up the balance with coconut, lard or palm, castor (5%) and olive in amounts you like. I always try to get soaps to gel, and I don't have a problem with softness.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I definitely want to try out the avocado oil, now that people say that its soap won't spoil. Sounds like I can use it at 10 to 30% without problem.

But there is one thing that I have been wondering about. Could I take the standard recipe that I have been using all along now, and swap the palm oil with lard ? In other words 50% olive oil, 25% lard, 22% Coconut oil, and 3% castor oil ? Could I make a decent HP soap with this ?

Last edited:
But there is one thing that I have been wondering about. Could I take the standard recipe that I have been using all along now, and swap the palm oil with lard ? In other words 50% olive oil, 25% lard, 22% Coconut oil, and 3% castor oil ? Could I make a decent HP soap with this ?

I don't HP, but lard makes a great substitute for palm. So, yes - if you like the recipe you've been using and are subbing lard for the palm I think you will be very happy with your soap.

Thanks dibbles and penelopejane for the AO suggestions, I will try them.

Just be really careful with your extra water for adding colours etc. to so may soft oils. I used to use 1 tsp water extra to mix and even that small amount made my mixes relatively soft even after time. I now use 32% lye concentration and use reserved liquid from the mix evenly distributed and it's working well for a good hard bar.

Last edited:
Just be really careful with your extra water for adding colours etc. to so may soft oils. I used to use 1 tsp water extra to mix and even that small amount made my mixes relatively soft even after time. I now use 32% lye concentration and it's working well for a good hard bar.

Thanks, I've been using 30% lye concentration for most recipes, but I might down the water a bit as you say. It does seem to make a difference. I use 32% for my bastille and that works really well.

Thanks, I've been using 30% lye concentration for most recipes, but I might down the water a bit as you say. It does seem to make a difference. I use 32% for my bastille and that works really well.

Yes just that tiny % makes a difference. You have to be careful if you want to do swirls or anything like that though because it moves!

Latest posts

Back