Recipe Suggestions (AKA Bullwinkle tries to pull a rabbit out of the hat)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one hooked!
Nice looking soap too.

I make small batches with a scale that does weigh in tenths of a gram.
I spent all of $26 US on it on Ebay a couple of years ago. I spent a lot of time in a materials lab and have an OCD thing about precision and accuracy.
As always your mileage may vary and do what you are comfortable with. After all it wasn't that long ago that soap makers just "sort of" measured "stuff" into a pot on the stove. This really is science and art combined.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

Thank you everyone! I keep looking at my soap with so much happiness, I feel like I'm going to pop! I'm already trying to figure out what recipe to try next, and ordered a Vanilla fragrance from Brambleberry that isn't supposed to turn brown.

That's a lovely batch of soap! Truly it is! Welcome to the addiction!

I have to warn you that everything you see in the store will now be evaluated as either an ingrtedient or a mold. For a looooonnnggg time.

Thank you! I think it has already started, I found myself eyeing an empty toilet paper roll this morning, wondering if it could be used.. And almost traumatized myself with the idea of using my life giving coffee to such ends!! ;)

I keep reminding myself I need to take care of stuff and clean the apartment this weekend.. Not poke around for a second soap recipe. Heh.

We'll see how long I hold out ;)

Thank you everyone! I keep looking at my soap with so much happiness, I feel like I'm going to pop! I'm already trying to figure out what recipe to try next, and ordered a Vanilla fragrance from Brambleberry that isn't supposed to turn brown.

Thank you! I think it has already started, I found myself eyeing an empty toilet paper roll this morning, wondering if it could be used.. And almost traumatized myself with the idea of using my life giving coffee to such ends!! ;)

I keep reminding myself I need to take care of stuff and clean the apartment this weekend.. Not poke around for a second soap recipe. Heh.

That's why instant coffee is the the best coffee to use for soaping, IMO. Why waste the good stuff so to speak.

That's why instant coffee is the the best coffee to use for soaping, IMO. Why waste the good stuff so to speak.

Oh yes!! Maybe for my first attempt at making soap with color or liquid other than water I can pick up a jar from the dollar store!!

All hail the dollar store...

Coffee grounds are better in soap if they're already used anyway. Just dry them out and add as an exfoliate.

Did I achieve DOS?

As I was looking at my soaps today, I noticed the piece that had been on the bottom of the tube had two spots - one brown and one small black spot (picture attached).

All of the rest of the pieces look fine, and the spot doesn't go all the way through the slice. Is this the dreaded orange spot thing people talk about? Will the rest of the soap be OK?

For any recipe reference, I used the 5% castor, 15% coconut, 15% olive oil, 65% lard recipe.

IMG_20170320_104229.jpg

IMG_20170320_103416.jpg

The black spec looks like a little piece of some sort of debris that was maybe unnoticed in the bottom of your mold. Can you pick it out? I don't know about the brown spot. How long ago did you make your soap? Does it smell off in any way. If it turns out to be DOS, as for the rest of the soaps, time will tell. I had DOS on one bar from a batch. The rest were fine, and the affected bar only ever had one spot. The reason remains a mystery to me.

The black spec looks like a little piece of some sort of debris that was maybe unnoticed in the bottom of your mold. Can you pick it out? I don't know about the brown spot. How long ago did you make your soap? Does it smell off in any way. If it turns out to be DOS, as for the rest of the soaps, time will tell. I had DOS on one bar from a batch. The rest were fine, and the affected bar only ever had one spot. The reason remains a mystery to me.

I was able to pick the black spot out.. You're right, I must have had a speck at the bottom when I poured.

I don't think it smells off. This one piece smells a little more... Salty? But not rancid. I have some oils a friend gave me I had to toss because they were rancid. Except for the coconut oil (which I've had for a while to cook with) all my oils are basically new from the grocery store.

I'd take a slice off that bar with a wire cheese slicer -- as deep as necessary to get rid of the brown spot. If the spot comes back, I'd be thinking "DOS". Still, it's very lovely soap. Good on ya, Fig!

I'd take a slice off that bar with a wire cheese slicer -- as deep as necessary to get rid of the brown spot. If the spot comes back, I'd be thinking "DOS". Still, it's very lovely soap. Good on ya, Fig!

Oh good idea! I'll do that.

Worse comes to worse I'll use this batch to explore the world of soap scrimshaw. It could be the next "thing".

Back