Recipe review please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLunaB

Reaction score
I kindly ask that the vets look over my newest creation and give me some pointers I can run with, thanks! I'll come back and explain my reasoning later tonight
Screenshot_2018-06-04-17-55-20.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-06-04-17-55-27.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-06-04-17-55-36.jpeg

I would lower the CO considerably, to 20% or less. Anytime I see a soap with CO as first ingredient I stay away from it, as it is just to drying for my skin. I have used one that lists CO first PKO 2nd and it dries out my hands they are as rough as when I use my strong green soap dish detergent. (normally I wear gloves with my strong dish detergent.) You could up the SAO to at least 10% if SAO is not to costly for you or up the OO, which I also dislike. Do you have any HO oils you could add in?

Hi Miss Luna, that's a nice mix of oils. I agree with cmzaha and TEG to bring down CO (to 20'ish) and increase the castor (to 5-8). And living in the humid South, you could also bring down the total butters by 5-10% since you could trade in their unsaponifiables for a bit more bubbles. Me, I'd add most of the remaining difference to your palm, just to keep things simple. But even if you keep the butter levels at 20%, no harm done, it will still be lovely decadent soap to your skin :)

The only other suggestion is to calculate and weigh in grams if your scale has that ability. With 28 grams to 1 ounce, there's more precision, even if you can't weigh in tenths of grams. This will help you get closer to your intended consequences.

Good luck, have fun.

*tweek* *tweek* *tweek*
Thank you everyone for your input, castor oil and I have not gotten along very well but I did bump it up to 5% since I will have more hard oils. I took out olive oil since it seems to be a miss for me when animal fat is NOT involved and subbed in SAO and a bit more Shea. I bumped up the palm oil to see if I can get as close as possible to the creaminess of tallow (I know there is no direct sub) with a bit of shea, sao, and cocoa butter (I just read that either on the forum, Kenna’s site or one of the soap books idk I’ve been reading a lot lately [emoji28]), I’m playing with super fat as well (even if I don’t understand it completely I just as soapee to do the magic)!

IMG_0324.jpg

Now for why I’ve popped up recently, I’ve been playing around with water discount, and I feel pretty comfortable at 15%-20% with my tallow and lard soaps, BUT I don’t have a versatile veggie/no animal fat soap to play with and eventually test out. The SAO, cocoa, butter and shea are all oils/buttes I like in my lotion/body butter right now and I want to see if I can keep the theme going, if SB holds on [emoji51]

More suggestions are appreciated, and yes I know it’s a hard bar, my animal fat soaps are doing wonders and they are just as hard or harder than this recipe.

I gather your superfat is so high because your cleansing number is so high.

Just for what its worth I find my skin is happier with a low superfat and low cleansing soap. My theory is its better not to strip the natural oils, rather than stripping them and attempting to replace with other oils

Also, PKO is a direct switch for CO or can be used in combination. I think you are using Palm oil. Not PKO. If you correct it, it will drop the cleaning quite a bit and then you can drop your SF to about 3% with those butters in it.

Thank you everyone for your input! With your help I was able to formulate 2 recipes and try them out this past weekend and they are absolutely beautiful!
Well except 1 XD I don't know what caused it but I caught it in time, my second batch of soap, volcanoed [emoji33], no animal fats here #4. I was lucky I came back to check or I would of had a possible messy kitchen to clean XD I threw that sucker in the freezer so fast I'm surpised I had the perfect spot for it. I'm going to make it again sans goat milk and see if it does it again.
Once again thank you everyone for your input!

Back