Recipe Request - coconut and sunflower

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you want creamy lather? If so, I recommend adding shea butter.

upload_2018-12-6_9-38-32.png

I don't think anyone here tries to achieve "creamy" lather this way.

The reason you can't raise the number is because your selected oils lack the required acids as indicated above.

Palmitics and stearics come from animal fat, rainforest depleting palm, soy wax and butters such as shea.

Ricinioleic comes from castor.

Think I will add rapeseed.

And is subject to rancidity. Don't use more than 10-15%. Also, if you go back and look at some of your older posts from quite some time ago, it seems you were trying to do the same thing and received some great information back then, very similar to what you are receiving now.

And is subject to rancidity. Don't use more than 10-15%. Also, if you go back and look at some of your older posts from quite some time ago, it seems you were trying to do the same thing and received some great information back then, very similar to what you are receiving now.
Yes it’s been along time since I made soap! I’ve forgotten everything.

What makes you set on raising the creamy number? If it's only because "the numbers say it should be higher" throw it out the window, make the soap and see what you think

The hardness number only refers to how quickly you can get it out of the mould.

Soapee does a longevity number but you can find it on soapcalc by finding hardness minus cleansing

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to use oils that are freely available where I live, So narrowed it down to a combo of rapeseed, coconut, sunflower and olive.
It’s a bit limiting I know. I don’t want to use lard or palm either.

I agree with the others, be careful with rapeseed oil and keep it low. However, do give it a try just to see how you like it. I use it at 10% in most of my soaps and I think it adds a nice creamy (even though the fatty acid profile says otherwise) dimension to the lather. And do use citric acid or something else to post phone rancidity, it makes a huge difference.

Just for me - I would flip the coconut and olive percentages and use a SF of 3 to 5%. The recipe would need a longer cure time than one using more hard oils. ( Lard, Palm, shea).
No access to Crisco?

None of the oils you are using - if used at 100% would give a value of "creamy" over 17 ( olive oil). The fatty acid profile simply isn't there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read jcandleattic’s post number 14.

I wouldn’t use rape seed oil in soap.
Forget the numbers in the soap calcs for hardness etc when dealing with OO soap. The calcs are wrong for OO soap.

Good OO makes a great soap. Luckily, you have access to good olive oil. Try the suggestion by jcandleattic.

As kiwimoose says if you can add 5% castor oil it will help with bubbles and creaminess.

I love using sunflower oil in my soap. But if you are buying your sunflower oil from your local grocer's it is regular sunflower oil and not the high oleic. There is a huge difference in these oils fatty acid profiles. Regular sunflower oil is high in linoleic fatty acid where high oleic is high in oleic fatty acid.

I use regular sunflower oil and not more than 10-20% of my recipe depending on the fatty acid profiles. When you put your recipe together on the soap calculator make sure your linoleic stays at 15 or lower and your iodine is 70 or lower. Any higher and you risk getting DOS.

You can make a lovely skin loving soap using olive oil, coconut oil, and sunflower oil. Although I would add some palm or lard or tallow for the extra creaminess and hardness you may like in your soap.

I agree with the others, be careful with rapeseed oil and keep it low. However, do give it a try just to see how you like it. I use it at 10% in most of my soaps and I think it adds a nice creamy (even though the fatty acid profile says otherwise) dimension to the lather. And do use citric acid or something else to post phone rancidity, it makes a huge difference.

how do you use citric acid? do you mix it with oil or water from the recipe? then add it in at trace?

how do you use citric acid? do you mix it with oil or water from the recipe? then add it in at trace?

You add CA to the water before the lye, stir it until clear then add your NaOH.
It reduces soap scum.
You need to add more NaOH to neutralise it.
So if you want 1% CA and you are making a 2000g of oils soap 2000x1/100 = 20g CA.
20g CA x 6.24/10 = 12.5g extra NaOH in your recipe amount.

See DeeAnna's notes for more info:
https://classicbells.com/soap/citricAcid.html

You add CA to the water before the lye, stir it until clear then add your NaOH.
It reduces soap scum.
You need to add more NaOH to neutralise it.
So if you want 1% CA and you are making a 2000g of oils soap 2000x1/100 = 20g CA.
20g CA x 6.24/10 = 12.5g extra NaOH in your recipe amount.

See DeeAnna's notes for more info:
https://classicbells.com/soap/citricAcid.html

awesome thank you very much too late to get my head round that tonight but will definatly give that link a look at tomorrow. Will a soap calc work this out for you or is there still maths involved to work out how much of everything is needed?

Latest posts

Back