Recipe meanderings

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Could some of you chime in on what you think of this recipe and, especially, the attached ideas? It's a recipe I've been using for a couple of months and I am very happy with it, but still, open to ideas.

Olive - 17.3%
Sunflower - 17.3%
Palm - 6.65%
Coconut - 26.7%
Shea - 4.87%
Lard - 17.7%
Castor - 7.8%
St. Joseph's Oil - 1.95% (The secret ingredient!)

a) I will be eliminating the Palm once I run out of it. I'll replace it with Lard.
b) I'd like to reduce the Coconut to maybe 20%. Does that sound alright to you? Again, to make up the difference with Lard.

You really should consider adding another decimal digit to each oil. Soapmaking is all about precision, you should know this.

With this in mind, my suggestion for the next river bend of your recipe could look something like this:

Olive - 17.998%
Sunflower - 13.052%
Coconut - 20.000%
Shea - 6.995%
Lard - 35.004%
Castor - 5.001%
St. Joseph's Oil - 1.950% (untouched – not worth risking to upset St. Joseph, the patron saint of pirate soaps)

(Feel free to do some obvious rounding, if you don't want to annoy people to enter pointlessly long numbers into soap calculators. With few exceptions, I personally tune my percentages to be multiples of 5%, and you could easily do so as well, or at least round to integer percentages. With your happy bumpy numbers, you're harassing yourself in the first place.)

Explanation: Coconut to 20% is no issue; you had the right instinct to replace it with a hard oil, to keep the hardness on par (rigidity at unmoulding time). It might be even slightly beneficial for the longevity (i. e. the number of uses doable with one piece of soap), and the bubbliness loss will likely be negligible.
Similar with the castor. I allowed to take off some of it, since it'll do its magic already at lower percentage, and further addition does not necessarily improve it.
Lard, for a hard oil, is comparatively soft (lower saturated FA than palm/shea/CO). That means for one that it is already so close to a well-balanced soap recipe all by itself, that it can absorb just about any other oils left out otherwise. Still, after coconut excess and palm relocated to lard, I notched up the shea a bit, to keep the hardness number level. This might not be strictly necessary (depending on the lard and your expectations of hardness), but then again a bit more of shea might indulge the skin of whoever uses up the inconceivable heaps of soap you're emitting.
Finally, I shifted a bit of the sunflower to the lard as well. They compete with each other for the “rancidity budget” of the soap, but in the formula, lard is more important than sunflower. We've somehow had all this already, and the discussion back then is still valid. The only soft oil that would add substantially to your formula without breaking the bank, would be rice bran oil.

I notice that you silently have stopped using beeswax? For some reason, or did you just notice that you aren't reliant on it?

Could some of you chime in on what you think of this recipe and, especially, the attached ideas? It's a recipe I've been using for a couple of months and I am very happy with it, but still, open to ideas.

Olive - 17.3%
Sunflower - 17.3%
Palm - 6.65%
Coconut - 26.7%
Shea - 4.87%
Lard - 17.7%
Castor - 7.8%
St. Joseph's Oil - 1.95% (The secret ingredient!)

a) I will be eliminating the Palm once I run out of it. I'll replace it with Lard.
b) I'd like to reduce the Coconut to maybe 20%. Does that sound alright to you? Again, to make up the difference with Lard.
Sounds good to me.

Feel free to do some obvious rounding
Okie dokie... For a nicely balanced SAT/UNSAT bar:

Coconut 25%
Lard and/or Palm and/or Shea 40% (these 3 serve the same purpose. Try all Shea for fun!)
Olive 20%
Sunflower 10%
Castor 3% to 5%*
Since we don't know what its FA profile is, add 2% "secret ingredient" to the castor for formulating purposes. ;)

Latest posts

Back