Recipe Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoahSilas

Reaction score
Ok. I am new to soap making. This is the recipe I came up with. What do you all think. Are my numbers good? Me and my wife are going to try it today if you all give me the ok. I do not want to screw this up. Any Suggestions. I have some Canola Oil as well, but did not add any to the recipe. I am just looking for a good bar of soap. Any help is appreciated. I am stressing out over all these recipes.

Coconut- 14 OZ
Olive- 12 OZ
Crisco-15 OZ
Castor- 3 OZ

16.7 OZ Water
Lye-6.2 OZ

H-38
C-21
C-56
B-27
C-23
I- 63
INS-157

Your numbers look great. Each one is in the recommended range. In time, you might find that you like different numbers. The recommended ranges are not set in stone and can be used as a guideline.

Now get to soaping! :D

Yup, like CPS says, only time, making lots of test batches, and testing using friends, family, or foes, (just kidding) will give you direction as to what you need to do to make your recipe the best for you and/or others. It took me at least my first year soaping to get a good recipe. Learning what oils/butters/fats worked together and in what percentages....well only time and testing will tell you...we can't!

SOAP ON! :)

Paul

a pretty good basic recipe.

According to our SoapMaker program, your numbers come out:

Hardness 6.5 (very good) , fluffy lather 5, stable lather 5.6 and moisturizing 5.5. An average of better than 5 across all numbers is a good bar of soap.

My favorite and best-selling bar has these numbers: 6, 5.3. 5.8, 6.1 - So you're not far off.

But I would use less water than you did in your recipe. I take a 12 % water discount, plus I discount whatever scent I use. So if I were to use your recipe, I would use only 13.5 ounces of water instead of your 16.7.

Nevermind, it will eventually evaporate out in time.

Latest posts

Back