Recipe Help - Lotion Bar...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmeroro

Reaction score
Hi there - I have a general idea of ingredients that I want to try out in a lotion bar for roll up tubes. Could someone take a look at this and reccomend percentages to try? Thanks.

Cocoa Butter
Coconut Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Vitamin E
Essential Oil Blend

Rachelle (roro) :)

I suggest using google search and looking up different recipes and study the recipes and come up with your own based on what your reading. Or use one that you find and tweak it to suit your needs, wants and desires.

The basic recipe for a lotion bar is the same as a lip balm: 1/3 butter, 1/3 oil, 1/3 bees wax. Try a smal batch with what you have and see what it turns out to be. If it is softer or harder than what you want, adjust 1 of the 3. When you get it like you want it then add a few drops of Vit E and your EO.

Birdie is right, the basic recipe is 1 part wax, 1 part oil, 1 part soft butter.

From your list above the first thng I see is that you do not have a wax listed.The second thing I see is that your butter is hard. Your hard butter could actually cancel out the rock hard wax & cover your soft butter. With just what you have listed above I would try this:

1 part Cocoa Butter
1 part oil (1/2 Coconut Oil Sweet & 1/2 Almond Oil )
smidge Vitamin E
Essential Oil Blend to taste

If it is too firm melt it back dow & add more oil.

If it is too soft melt it back down & add more cocoa butter.

Take good notes of what you have added.

Tabitha - and Birdie - :) Thanks so very much! Its funny when you have things running through your head, but you are not too sure of how to get the end result... I will make some tonight and let you all know of what the results are - I did make some last night with beeswax, but i am not too crazy about them... good thing I only made a few tins.

One other thing - I really like the cupcake shape (it sort of looks like a flaun mould)... then the bar can be removed from the container, used and replace for storage... What moulds (and from whom) would you reccomend?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

I like to use the push up ot twist up sticks. I just get a picture in my mind of a gooey lotion bar w/ lint, fuzz & hairs on it being place back into the tin :( ...

Tabitha said:
I like to use the push up ot twist up sticks. I just get a picture in my mind of a gooey lotion bar w/ lint, fuzz & hairs on it being place back into the tin :( ...

LOL -- Hi Tabitha :) I just ordered 10 of the twist up kind from Elements Bath - but I think in order to try and keep costs down, I am going to try moulding them.

I do like the convience of the tubes, but gosh, why are they sooo expensive?

The cost of plastic has *really* gone way up in just the last 2 years. Tammy is great at elements!

Just a thought: You can use itty bitty candy molds & make 1 time use lotion bars, call em' massage candy or body kises and wrap them in foil. You would need to pop them in the freezer to get the semi frozen before you could get them out of the bar w/o harming them though.

Tabitha said:
Just a thought: You can use itty bitty candy molds & make 1 time use lotion bars, call em' massage candy or body kises and wrap them in foil. You would need to pop them in the freezer to get the semi frozen before you could get them out of the bar w/o harming them though.

That is a cute idea - esp. for V day! Although I have TONS of these jars --- I cant seem to find the right size mould for them ... they are the 4 ounce containers from BuyouSome I guess I am looking for a tall round mould - prob a 3.5 ounce size... all I can find are the short little ones... grr.

:)

Back