Recipe for Newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BritSoap

Reaction score
OK I now have everything ready to start!! I have been reading and buying and now want to start my first batch of soap. However, I need a small recipe to start. I just want to fill a bread loaf size mold (Pyrex bread mold), so a small batch is needed (especially don't want to waste too much the first time if it goes wrong). I have olive oil, palm oil and coconut oil. Does anyone have a small recipe using those oils? As to scent etc, I thought perhaps a lemon scent using Lemongrass EO. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

Check out the web site Tab gave you. If you are ready, and know the safety procedures to making CP soap, I can put together a recipe using these oils. You try first to see if you can get a recipe there.

Paul.... :) :wink:

You can also fill up your mold and then weigh the contents to know exactly how many grams/ounces your mold holds to ensure you get enough soap to fill it to the level you want. Calculators like thesage.com will also re-size a batch for you after you input the ingredients.

Remember the calculations for figuring how many ounces of oils to figure for any rectangular or square mold is this;
Length of mold X's width of mold X's height you want to pour your soap batter to, like 2-1/2 inches, X's .4. Say your mold is 3-1/2" wide by 10" long by 2-1/2" tall would figure like this;

10 X
3.5 X
2.5 =
87.5 X
.4 =

35 ounces of oils are needed to fill to this capacity. You use 35 in your online calculator for total oils needed. This is what I use when I go to www.soapcalc.com to figure a new recipe! Love this calculator! Hope this helps everyone!

Paul.... :) :wink:

Latest posts

Back