Recipe for my Oval Bar Mold- suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferret

Reaction score
This was the recipe I was talking about in http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=57985&page=2 ....(Bar vs. Loaf)
10% Olive
40% Palm
50% Coconut
Since this ratio didn't work out for me. (btw no one who has used it says its drying for their skin)

Any suggestions on tweaking it? I thought I would get a very hard bar but got hard tops and sticky- gooey bottoms.

You can use 30% lard, 20% coconut oil, 25% palm and 25% olive oil and still get a nice bar without it being so drying. I don't know why the bottoms of the bars were sticky and gooey with the above recipe, if you used the right amount of lye and the soap was at true trace.

Did you gel? If not, it can take 2-3 days to have the soap get solid enough to get it out of the mold without the bottoms feeling sticky. If the soap was made with correct weights and to trace, within a day or so after unmolding the bottoms of those bars should feel just fine. YOu could try gelling next time to compare.

I'd go with the lower coconut and overall recipe lsg recommended, or you could put all the lard and palm into just one or the other (55% lard or 55% palm, if you'd like to use fewer oils).

Last edited:
Takes me at least 24 hours to remove from my ovals unless the soap is salt bars or soleseife. If I try to expose them sooner they are tender. Even when I have gelled with these molds it seems that they are tacky for quite a while.

Just my limited experience.
Steve

This was the recipe I was talking about in http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=57985&page=2 ....(Bar vs. Loaf)
10% Olive
40% Palm
50% Coconut
Since this ratio didn't work out for me. (btw no one who has used it says its drying for their skin)

Any suggestions on tweaking it? I thought I would get a very hard bar but got hard tops and sticky- gooey bottoms.

I think that the thing is that many people (especially if they are used to commercial soap) don't realise when a soap is drying for their skin. But they are much more likely to realise when it isn't.

I ask my family this all the time, their response is "I don't know" but you can look at their skin and it is taut or wrinkly or dry (depending on their age).

Half the time I don't think it is worth asking anyone. I just test it on myself and decide for myself. I have yet to find a soap that I don't have to put moisturiser on after I use it but I have found soaps that really reduce the necessity to do so.

Last edited:
I think it's also difficult to get true good feedback sometimes. People often have difficulty saying something that might come across as negative for fear it will hurt our feelings, which is kind but not so helpful. Good constructive criticism is like gold!

I have the same difficulty dealing with individual molds (as opposed to a loaf mold). I just either decide to give it a few days in the mold, or pop it into the freezer for an hour or so before trying to unmold.

I would not like your recipe at all. I would have to drop that CO to 15% or so, and give all the palm and the rest of the CO amounts to lard or tallow. That much CO dries my skin.

I agree with the others. When using individual molds it can take longer to get out of the mold. As for the recipe, I would not use 50% CO. Way too high. I never go above 20-23% and generally use with a combination of PKO.

Back