Recipe for Eczema

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MakeArtNotWar

Reaction score
I really would like to make a soap that has been tested and found to be a good soap instead of experimenting with my nine year old's skin. His eczema is getting SO bad he is digging it open even with the meds they have him on.

Does anyone have one they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

This was a month ago.. Now it is all over his ankles, elbows, behind his knees, etc. I feel so bad for him.

These are his tiny little legs, he has CF and is a little stick!

March2008313.jpg

HUN, I feel your pain. My 2 year old GS has it really bad
on his inside elbows, and he picks, and digs all the time.

He even knows to go get the lotion by himself, so I can put it on him.

I wish I could find something for him.

Heat seems to make it worse.

Try making a small batch of soap and superfatting it with Emu oil, or just rub a little emu oil directly on the rashy areas. Its a natural anti-inflammatory and really helps soothe eczema.

Hope it helps.

A friend of mine uses shea butter on her GS's, but I would definitely try the Emu oil. It completely healed a sore of mine in a week.

We recently found something that worked amazingly on our daughter's lesions. Rosehips oil! Not in a soap, just a tiny bit rubbed in. We had tried emu oil a few years ago and it was very soothing and calmed down the red spots but they did not go away. After 2 weeks of using the rosehips oil, her lesions that she has had for years have disappeared. I suspect that they will come back if she stops using the rosehips oil as this is an underlying immune system disorder. Rosehips oil is very expensive but only a tiny bit is needed once a day. She uses it at bedtime. You can find a small vial of it at most health food stores in their cosmetic section, but you have to give it a good two weeks to start to see the improvement. Good luck!

if you have been dealing with this for any length of time, you know not to use anything with fragrance in it , right down to laundry detergent, fabric softner, soap, lotions etc.

my dd has flair ups, but nothing as bad as your little one, we find an unscented oatmeal milk and honey soap made with goatsmilk, lard ( she finds palm to be drying), coconut, avocado, soybean, sunflower & castor to work for her. i superfat this at least 13%. ( this keeps the amount of coconut from being drying). honey and ground oats. soap is a wash off product so you really need something after too.

she uses an unscented gm lotion i make that is 50% shea butter and 50% emu oil after showering and then for the lesions if they are really bad a salve for spot treatment.

1 tsp each of hazelnut oil, jojoba, avocado and evening primrose.
1T each emu, shea butter
2 T cocoa butter
4 capsules vitamin e

she doesn't have any problem with the shea butter but some folks with excema might.

my brother had this bad as a child and i remember my mother only being able to use tide detergent, dial soap and a pine tar salve ( which stained everything it came in contact with ) on him.

from my understanding, all these things we do are only a maintance to keep it at bay. it is an internal issue, having to do with ones immune system. food allergies, and stress can trigger outbreaks. my dd is most affected by this during the winter months when she is fully clothed and hibernates inside. during the summer when she is in shorts and t-shirts and outside she has hardly any outbreaks at all. so her's may be more related to dry skin issues.

here's a good read:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art37851.asp

My aunt has excema

I make an olive oil castile soap with Tea Tree oil.. and works for her
I also make a light cream with Neem Oil ... it works as well

i have heard that acupuncture works well on skin conditions like eczema because it corrects any internal imbalances that might be causing the outbreaks (similar to what Barb mentioned). i have no experience with it, but it's just what i've read/heard from others.

:D

free eczema formula

there is a free formula at www.vaneurin.com under formulas "E" Eczema ointment. Dont know of a soap formula, but a normal formula with Peroxide and tee tree oil added should see good results.

Thanks so much everyone for the great responses. I really want to start trying natural things and get him off the creams.

I just learned about salt bars and heard/read that they are good for eczema, as well as acne. I have eczema on one hand and when it flares up, I can scratch my hand til it bleeds. I feel for your son. They say the salt bar works miracles on the skin.

Latest posts

Back