Recipe for Batch #5 because I have to make soap!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
I have the day off tomorrow and need to make some soap but am basically out of cocoa butter so I formulated a recipe to use the last of it. Also wanted to try HO Sunflower Oil as well as a sub for some of the Pomace Olive Oil. How does this recipe look?
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 1.55.05 PM.png

I personally would drop the coconut down to 20% or less. You could make up the difference in sunflower or olive. But I see no real problem with making it as is. It will thicken up fast, so maybe don't plan on elaborate swirls!

Above 20% Coconut oil is harsher on my skin than I prefer, but otherwise it looks pretty good to me! Since Olive Pomace oil is also high in Oleic fatty acids, I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see with just 11% HO Sunflower oil. It's a little apples to apples, so you might need a slightly higher percentage of HO Sunflower oil to really see the difference between it and Olive Pomace oil.
HO Sunflower is also the only oil I'm seeing that doesn't have a fast tracing time. If it were me, I would not use a stick-blender in this batter at all unless I only wanted only one color and threw it in at the beginning. I suspect this recipe may trace very quickly, and if your fragrance accelerates at all, you may have pudding in short order.

With the shea and cocoa butter, I don't think you'll notice the 26% coconut oil as much. I've played with my recipe (which uses a total of 20% shea + cocoa) and I've gone up to 30% CO without it bothering my skin (and I have super dry lizard skin). I do notice higher CO in soaps without butters. But everyone's experience is different. For me this recipe would be a go. As mentioned, it will likely move fast, so I would stop stickblending as soon as you get to an emulsion.

Above 20% Coconut oil is harsher on my skin than I prefer, but otherwise it looks pretty good to me! Since Olive Pomace oil is also high in Oleic fatty acids, I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see with just 11% HO Sunflower oil. It's a little apples to apples, so you might need a slightly higher percentage of HO Sunflower oil to really see the difference between it and Olive Pomace oil.
HO Sunflower is also the only oil I'm seeing that doesn't have a fast tracing time. If it were me, I would not use a stick-blender in this batter at all unless I only wanted only one color and threw it in at the beginning. I suspect this recipe may trace very quickly, and if your fragrance accelerates at all, you may have pudding in short order.
Thanks a lot. I was thinking of doing an ITP swirl and keeping my lye concentration at around 30%. My last batch was the first time I controlled my trace and that was because I barely used my stick blender. I am only making batches that fit in the Crafters Choice 1501 mold which is 800g of oil that makes around a 2.5lb batch of soap. I realize now how little I need to blend for a batch of this size. Maybe I will adjust this and lower the coconut oil amount and add it to the sunflower amount. I think I am obsessing too much about the longevity number in my recipe and probably obsessing too much about all of those numbers. Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks a lot. I was thinking of doing an ITP swirl and keeping my lye concentration at around 30%. My last batch was the first time I controlled my trace and that was because I barely used my stick blender. I am only making batches that fit in the Crafters Choice 1501 mold which is 800g of oil that makes around a 2.5lb batch of soap. I realize now how little I need to blend for a batch of this size. Maybe I will adjust this and lower the coconut oil amount and add it to the sunflower amount. I think I am obsessing too much about the longevity number in my recipe and probably obsessing too much about all of those numbers. Thanks again for the advice.
I also obsess over the numbers. The coconut doesn't add to longevity, though, it's actually about as soluble as the Oleic oils. It's solid at room temperature for different reasons than the butters, so I consider it a liquid oil.

Back