Recipe feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I've learned a ton here and I'm hoping to get some help with my recipe. I've made this several times and it's my favorite recipe. It checks all the boxes I'm looking for: doesn't leave my skin dry feeling, bubbly, gives me just enough time to work with, hard bar, and it's simple. I recently used a fragrance that riced horribly on me and it made me wonder if something might be off with my recipe. Just to troubleshoot, I tried two other recipes using this fragrance oil (40% OO, 20% CO, 20% PO/Lard, 10% Castor, 10% Shea) and it behaved perfectly. It just had some mild acceleration that I was expecting.

It made me think that instead of blaming the fragrance oil, maybe it's my recipe. I use the heat transfer method - soaping temperature when I'm starting to SB is around 100. Also, I use Zany's faux sea water with sugar added for my liquid. The fragrance was WSP Rose and Black Pepper. Any suggestions or critiques are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1646197740160.png

You have a lot of fast-moving oils in that recipe (coconut, shea, castor).

Are you melting only the coconut and shea with the hot lye solution, and then adding the OO and castor after everything is melted? If not, doing that should give you a little more time.

And while I love soaping at a 40% lye concentration, you could try 33% for this particular recipe and see if that helps. Maybe make a 1lb batch during the testing phase. :)

My first batch of honeysuckle. Riced and accelerated on me. My second batch, after reading. "Stir your fo into the batter. Instead of just pouring it in". Seemed to help. Ymmv. I've not enough experience on recipes as yet. Only comment, super fat seems high???

Thank you, AliOop. I was soaping at 33% but problems with soda ash and unmolding (I’m impatient) made me look into a higher lye concentration. I love it too but if it helps I’ll try it again.

And yes, I melt my coconut and Shea, then add my soft oils. Thank you for your reply.

My first batch of honeysuckle. Riced and accelerated on me. My second batch, after reading. "Stir your fo into the batter. Instead of just pouring it in". Seemed to help. Ymmv. I've not enough experience on recipes as yet. Only comment, super fat seems high???

Hi Ford,

I know it’s on the high side but I find lower super fats don’t feel as nice. I’m also guilty of dumping in the fragrance oil. Thank you for the tip 😊.

I’ve found ricing to be quite sensitive to temperature. With the same fragrance ricing at slightly elevated temperatures, 95-100F and no ricing at 85 or below. Obviously lots of other factors like the recipe and lye conc will also affect this behavior. If you’re set on that recipe and fragrance, you might try a little lower temp. You will have to watch for false trace, but it’s pretty easy to recognize when it starts getting grainy pre-fragrance.

Last edited:
I've made this several times and it's my favorite recipe. It checks all the boxes I'm looking for
Congratulations on developing a recipe that meets all your expectations! Well done!
(I’m impatient)
I’m also guilty of dumping in the fragrance oil.
These two factors suggest that the problem is with technique more that anything else. Often, I've noticed, that when we make the same recipe over and over again, we lose some of the care taken when we make it the first time. :thumbs: 😉 "Patience" is the first rule of soapmaking. So keep your wits about you when making this formula. I see no reason to rush it.

When adding fragrance or any other additive, @Ford 's advice is well taken. After adding them to the warmed oils, stir or SB for one full minute to fully incorporate before adding the lye solution.

I also like @PepperJack 's advice - you might try a little lower temp.

Thanks for sharing your unique recipe. :nodding: Keep up the good work!

Congratulations on developing a recipe that meets all your expectations! Well done!

These two factors suggest that the problem is with technique more that anything else. Often, I've noticed, that when we make the same recipe over and over again, we lose some of the care taken when we make it the first time. :thumbs: 😉 "Patience" is the first rule of soapmaking. So keep your wits about you when making this formula. I see no reason to rush it.

When adding fragrance or any other additive, @Ford 's advice is well taken. After adding them to the warmed oils, stir or SB for one full minute to fully incorporate before adding the lye solution.

I also like @PepperJack 's advice - you might try a little lower temp.

Thanks for sharing your unique recipe. :nodding: Keep up the good work!

Hi Zany!

You're right about the patience thing. It's not my strong area but soaping has definitely taught me many lessons on this. I suspected it might have to do with my technique but wasn't sure. I'm also thinking the heat transfer method, while faster, might not be fully melting my oils and butters.

I was of the notion that fragrance oils had to be added after the lye solution, at emulsion. If I can add them before the lye, that would be awesome.

Also, Zany your faux sea water recipe is great. I like it way better than sodium lactate :).

Thank you everyone for the responses! It's been a huge help.

I’ve found ricing to be quite sensitive to temperature. With the same fragrance ricing at slightly elevated temperatures, 95-100F and no ricing at 85 or below. Obviously lots of other factors like the recipe and lye conc will also affect this behavior. If you’re set on that recipe and fragrance, you might try a little lower temp. You will have to watch for false trace, but it’s pretty easy to recognize when it starts getting grainy pre-fragrance.

Thank you, PepperJack. I'm going to test this out tonight and see if the lower temp helps.

Latest posts

Back