Recipe feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall

Reaction score
Hello all!
I am seeking your feedback on my recipe below. Your thoughts on the bar qualities this will produce or any tweaks you would suggest would be greatly appreciated.
I am attempting to make a conditioning bar that will help ease the winter dry skin blues.
Thanks in advance for your input!

Olive 41%
Coconut 23%
Palm 17%
Shea butter 12%
Castor 7%

5% superfat.

I would personally drop the CO a bit more for extremely dry skin. Though I don't find it extra drying on our skin. I would also up the Palm some and drop the olive. Otherwise it looks good to me. I don't generally use more than 10% butters but many do and love it. You could also try a small batch and see how you like it. Everyone's skin is different on what it likes and doesn't. You'll get many different suggestions because of that.

I've never used palm but will chime in on the coconut; I don't have dry skin but my first 18-24% coconut dried out my hands (even with 8% SF) First I lowered to around 12-15% and it was better, I'm formulating now at around 8-9% tops and they seem better for my hands, even not being at full cure yet. The coconut makes a huge difference both bubble-wise but also skin-feel. I love my 80% CO saltbars, so I don't think I'm sensitive to coconut in soap. Just my 0.02$ Good luck!

I would try it as is, or drop the coconut a bit. Keep in mind that it will take several weeks to cure properly, at least 4-6 but most likely more with the higher olive oil. At that point we will hopefully be out of the "winter dry skin blues" period.

I appreciate the input from all! I printed this recipe out on SoapCalc last week and have since been following advise found on this forum to learn more about the fatty acid profiles. As I was typing the beginning of this thread I was thinking that the Coconut may be a bit high.

That seems to be a common consensus here, so maybe I am learning something!

I will look at the recipe again with closer attn to the top 3 fats as noted in your replies, glad to know I am at least on the right track.

Thanks again and have a great day!

I like to up my SF to 6-7% to put a little more oil back onto my skin in the winter.

Brings up a question if I may... all things considered, If I had a base formula that I liked would making a change of 1-2% SF make an appreciable difference in the bar?

and do you typically run a SF at 5% and bump to 6-7 in the winter?

I've made both extremely low coconut soap recipes with 8 to 10% co and 3 - 5% sf, or moderate coconut with high 10% sf. I prefer the very low coconut during the winter. My theory is that the less I disturb my skin's own natural oils/mantle, the happier it is. A high sf may layer some oil onto your skin - but its not the same as your body's natural oils.

You'll have to experiment to see what works for you.

Brings up a question if I may... all things considered, If I had a base formula that I liked would making a change of 1-2% SF make an appreciable difference in the bar?

and do you typically run a SF at 5% and bump to 6-7 in the winter?

I do adjust my recipe. I live in a very dry environment and have seen a difference (especially on my elbows and feet) when I use my "summer" recipe bar in the winter.

For winter, I'm looking for a heavy, thick lotion-like lather.
For summer, I want something a little lighter that feels like it's cutting through grime. It still should feel fairly mild since I tend to accidentally burn in weird places in the summer and really notice it if a soap is too stripping. I'm talking about between my toes - sunburn between my toes! Silly mountain sun...

My preferred recipe is high lard, and I always use at least some GM.

Winter soaps:
SF at 6-7% depending on if I do full GM or partial GM.
Drop my CO/PKO total down to 16% and put the difference in shea or OO or AO

Summer soaps:
Use more aloe water in conjunction with GM
SF at 5%
CO/PKO up to 20%
No shea

Oh boy, summer soaps, winter soaps... Different recipes, colors and scents to make them stink pretty.... Seems I have more work to do than I thought. :)

Thank you all again! I am sure with my new found guidance there will be an abundance of test batches as I work to get this figured out!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

The first soap I made was 30% OO 30% PO 30% CO 10% castor oil. It is a really long lasting hard bar that bubbles well. But just about everyone, even if they just wash their hands, notices it is drying.

I have recipes with no CO and others with 10%. I use OO for salt bars and probably won't buy CO again after this lot is gone.

Back