Recipe Check

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Kate17

Reaction score
Hi there.
I'm pretty new to soaping, and I've been playing around on SoapCalc formulating my own CP soap recipe for the first time. I would like some experienced eyes to have a look to spot any possible issues. I'm planning to make a small unscented/unfragranced test batch of under 500g. I'm wanting a well-balanced bar, not too stripping but still plenty of lather. I went for even amounts of olive/coconut/palm oils rather than mostly olive because I want a firmer bubbly bar that lasts well. Do you think the 25% of coconut oil is too high? I'm concerned it might be a little harsh. I put in shea butter and almond oil for the conditioning benefits, and castor oil for a stable lather. I'm trying sodium lactate for a firmer bar. Also, do you think this recipe would be at risk of getting DOS?

Recipe:
Olive oil 75g (25%)
Coconut oil 75g (25%)
Palm oil 75g (25%)
Sweet almond oil 30g (10%)
Shea butter 30g (10%)
Castor oil 15g (5%)
Water 85.77g
Lye 42.25g
Sodium lactate 1.5 tsp

Would appreciate any feedback or changes you would suggest. Thank you!

Attachments

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Since your recipe is high in oleic acid, it may not produce a long lasting bar. You might try leaving out the sweet almond oil and going with the following:
8% Castor Oil
20% Coconut Oil
25% Olive Oil
27% Palm Oil
20% Shea Butter

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My personal preference on coconut oil: I do 19% coconut for kitchen/bathroom hand soap, since it might need to clean oil/grease, and it's easy to regularly apply lotion if necessary. I prefer 15% or less for bath/body soap, since it's not going to be fighting nearly as much oil, and it's inconvenient to frequently slather that much surface area in lotion.

Also, I agree with @lsg . On average, there isn't enough difference between the different high-Oleic oils to use more than one unless they're both at least 20% or more of your recipe.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer to use the same soap when I bathe as when I simply wash my hands, unless I am just testing a soap for a specific purpose. So most of my formulas contain no more than 15% CO as it is so drying to my skin. That may not be the case for you and your skin, so it is wise to try a few different formulas to see how your skin responds. It also is a good idea if you are going to be making soap for family or friends that may have delicate skin.

Putting on hand lotion year-round is not my cup of tea, although that is what I did for years prior to learning that washing my hands with soap doesn't have to result in dry skin. I have learned that my hands get just as clean with a low CO soap content as with a high CO oil content. The up side to this is I don't have to pay for Hand Lotion and I don't have to make it either; plus it saves on container waste.

Another soaper here (I currently don't recall who, however) goes as far as using a winter formula and a summer formula, which makes a lot of sense, as I notice that my hands are dryer in the winter than the summer. I just haven't made that leap.