Recipe check

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Bubbly

Reaction score
This is it, I finally found a local supply of lye, so I'm ready to make something. So far, everything I have picked up has been found here in Houston. YAAY, no shipping charges!

So, I want a basic recipe to start with, something that will give me a hard, bubbly bar that isn't drying, but feels clean.

How about this?

CO 25%
Crisco 25%
EVOO 35%
Castor 8%
Palm 7%

Soap Calc gives these stats on this recipe:

Hardness 35
Cleansing 17
Condition 60
Bubbly 24
Creamy 25
Iodine 65
INS 149

I also have beeswax to add, should I do that for a harder bar? If so, any suggestions to what % to add and what oil to take out?

Thanks in advance! I'm so excited. Now to wait through the weekend. (birthday party for my 4 year old!)

If you changed the amounts of your ingredients to something like this you wouldn't need to add beeswax.

Coconut 24%
Crisco 25%
EVOO 22%
Castor 11%
Palm 18%

Hardness 38*
Cleansing 16
Conditioning 58
Bubbly 26
Creamy 31

* Taking into consideration that soapcalc doesn't consiser olive oil to be a hard oil, so this number may seem lower than I would personally like to use, but you also have a high amount of EVOO so that boosts it up some.

Just another option to consider.

I think that your recipe is great!! It is really hard to know what small variations in the recipe will end up making you the perfect bar. :?:

I wasn't 100% sure about adding the beeswax, since I really want to find a solid base recipe first and foremost, and I'd rather it not have any animal products, so I can make vegan soaps.

I have gotten some GREAT advice here. If i make useable soap in time for Chrismas, it will only be thanks to you guys here. LOL :wink:

Glad to help,

Soaps made with high amounts of olive oil can be a bit what many describe as "slimy".

So here is another option if yu wanted to avoid the evoo, and safflower oil can be found in your grocery store as well.

Coconut 24%
Crisco 13%
Castor Oil 11%
Palm 34%
Safflower 18%

Hardness 41
Cleansing 16
Coditioning 55
Bubbly 26
Creamy 34

Or perhaps something like this,

Coconut 24%
EVOO 10%
Castor 11%
Palm 36%
Safflower 19%

Hardness 40
Cleansing 16
Conditioning 56
Bubbly 26
Creamy 33

Now that I couldn't tell you because when I use OO or EVOO I use smaller amounts and haven't made experimental batches to test that theory.

Ok, thanks! I really appreciate all your advice, it has been a HUGE help! I have enough oils to make about 6 lbs, so I might make 2 of those recipes, and see which one I like better, and how they 'age.'

With my batches, 15-20% goes from slimy to silky. I like a high percentage of olive oil but I have way too many other oils to experiment with!

Back