Recipe assistance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was hoping someone can explain to me why these 2 different recipes, even though the longevity is different, lasted the same amount of time. I got 10 showers out of each one. These are 4oz bars and they both cured a little over 4 weeks. I was hoping that cocoa butter would have increased the life of it.

The one with the higher longevity (cocoa butter) was also drying. My wife mentioned that she can feel the skin on her hands getting somewhat tighter than the other recipe. I assumed it may be the cocoa butter.

What would you recommend to increase the life of the bar and decrease the dryness?

1670266540541.png

1670266560402.png

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Attachments

• Test 6.PNG
    Test 6.PNG
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Test 10.PNG
    Test 10.PNG
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
How long did the soap cure before you used it?
Hi @lsg
I tested the top one (p+s =31) at 6 weeks and the bottom one (p+s =42) at 4 weeks. I figured with that higher amount I would have noticed a difference. Unfortunately no. I'm trying that top recipe with the bigger bars I have and going to weigh them this time and test. I'm now thinking that after the cure that the soaps lost some weight and was no longer a 4oz bar. Ha! Go figure.

Your soap was certainly cured long enough. Soap does lose weight during the cure because of the evaporation of water content.

Your soap was certainly cured long enough. Soap does lose weight during the cure because of the evaporation of water content.
Yup. I guess I apparently didn't take that into consideration 😬. When I originally made the batches, I was weighing the bigger bars every couple of days by grams. Not even thinking of the smaller, original 4oz bars. Anyway, I stopped weighing them, life stuff happened, and forgot about the evaporation. Ain't that a hoot. :rolleyes:

Back