Recipe Advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annalee2003

Reaction score
I feel pretty good about this (new) recipe, but I'd like some input from more experienced members if possible.

Castor oil 5%
CO 20%
OO 20%
Lard 55%

My last (old) recipe had high linoleic numbers:

CO 20%
OO 50%
Soybean oil 30%

Which I'm guessing came from the soybean oil. Someone suggested that I should try lard, so I went out and bought some today to replace the soybean oil.

I'm trying to get a good base recipe that I can just play around with. I'd like to get just a general bath bar recipe going. The new one has high oleic numbers, which I think means a softer bar? But the hardness numbers where in range when I ran it through soapcalc.

This is all still so confusing, haha.

I think that recipe would make a fine soap!

For comparisons sake one of my standard lard recipes is:
Lard 60%
Olive Oil 20%
Coconut 15%
Castor 5%
Superfat 5%

Its super slow tracing if you don't soap it too hot, so its nice for patterns and swirls. Your recipe would be about the same, just a bit more cleansing, perhaps more bubbly.

Seawolfe - Thank you! Yes, I was trying to go for more bubbles. My last recipe I mixed the oils and lye water together when they both reached around 108 degrees F. So not too hot.

That's pretty close to my old recipe. It is a fine place to start. I prefer a little less CO with a little more lard, like Seawolfe, but that is a great recipe.

Latest posts

Back