Recipe Advice

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

annalee2003

Reaction score
I feel pretty good about this (new) recipe, but I'd like some input from more experienced members if possible.

Castor oil 5%
CO 20%
OO 20%
Lard 55%

My last (old) recipe had high linoleic numbers:

CO 20%
OO 50%
Soybean oil 30%

Which I'm guessing came from the soybean oil. Someone suggested that I should try lard, so I went out and bought some today to replace the soybean oil.

I'm trying to get a good base recipe that I can just play around with. I'd like to get just a general bath bar recipe going. The new one has high oleic numbers, which I think means a softer bar? But the hardness numbers where in range when I ran it through soapcalc.

This is all still so confusing, haha.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
I think that recipe would make a fine soap!

For comparisons sake one of my standard lard recipes is:
Lard 60%
Olive Oil 20%
Coconut 15%
Castor 5%
Superfat 5%

Its super slow tracing if you don't soap it too hot, so its nice for patterns and swirls. Your recipe would be about the same, just a bit more cleansing, perhaps more bubbly.

annalee2003

Reaction score
Seawolfe - Thank you! Yes, I was trying to go for more bubbles. My last recipe I mixed the oils and lye water together when they both reached around 108 degrees F. So not too hot.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty close to my old recipe. It is a fine place to start. I prefer a little less CO with a little more lard, like Seawolfe, but that is a great recipe.

annalee2003

Reaction score
Glad to know that I came up with an overall good soaping recipe. I'm excited to test it out!

Latest posts