Recipe advice please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd_in_Minnesota

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been using pretty much a single recipe for all my soaping over the last couple years, and it's been generally well received.
But - last week I heard somebody recommend to his girlfriend (about my soap), "Don't use it on your face. It's incredibly drying."
So now I'm questioning my recipe.

Here's what I use:
Oils__________Weight (ounces____percentages
Avocado_______1.9______________5.6
Coconut_______5.6______________16.7
Olive Pomace___6.6______________19.4
Palm__________7.5______________22.2
Palm Kernel____9.4______________27.8
shea butter____2.8______________8.3
I superfat at 5% by weight

Can anybody recommend different proportions, or different ingredients, that would lead to a less 'drying' soap?
And......I'm not a bold soaper, so I'm hesitant to try an entirely different recipe... can this one be tweaked?

Thanks!
Todd

Coconut and pko are very similar - drying when saponified. You basically are using over 45% coconut for comparison. That would be very drying for many people, especially with a 5% SF.

Try putting the pko amount in to the Palm column instead. You'll lose some bubbles, but will still have enough

Keep in mind that I've only been making CP soap for about a year. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along to offer some excellent advice. But looking at your recipe, coconut and palm kernel can both be drying for some people, and the combination of the two is over 44%. If you want to use both, I'd do a max combined usage of 20%. I like avocado oil at 10%. So, using your same oil mix, maybe try something like CO 10%, PKO 10%, Palm 27%, Avocado 10%, OO Pomace 35%, Shea 8%.

I don't have a problem with coconut oil at 20%, but some people do. Also, this was one person's comment. It seems that others you've given soap to didn't have a problem with it. But I'm in MN too, and the drier air and cold temps do dry my skin out more than during the summer months.

ETA: See, in the time it took me to type my post, you have received some excellent advice!

I would split the PKO between the olive and Palm, but I don't like too much Palm, feels waxy to me.

I would split the PKO between the olive and Palm, but I don't like too much Palm, feels waxy to me.

I'd put the pko and Palm in to lard, if I'm honest [emoji41]

Agreed. I'd personally decrease the total PKO and CO percentages to 15% and realocate those values between the avocado, Olive pomace and palm oils. Maybe go a littl overboard and keep 5% reserved for Castor oil.

I use 40%-45% hard animal fat and in your case thay would be palm, 5%-7% castor, 18% coconut which i sometimes split 20% off into pko flakes ( like for example, 10 oz co for a recipe would equate 8 oz co 2 oz pko adjusting lye properly in a calc of course), 5- 8 % shea (when i use it, but i save it mostly for lotion ) and the remaining in soft oils, your case olive and avocado.

With your oils that's my basic recommendation, oh that and trying lard and or tallow ;)

Truly interesting.....

Thanks all!
So many good ideas...
I hadn't realized I was using that high a percentage in cleansing oils.
And I never even considered lard, especially not as a predominant percentage.
If I can find lard locally I'll give that a try (just now googling local food stores doesn't look so promising).
Otherwise, I'll shift the Palm Kernel oil into something softer, and see how that works.

Thanks again for your help!
Much appreciated.
Todd

Thanks all!
So many good ideas...
I hadn't realized I was using that high a percentage in cleansing oils.
And I never even considered lard, especially not as a predominant percentage.
If I can find lard locally I'll give that a try (just now googling local food stores doesn't look so promising).
Otherwise, I'll shift the Palm Kernel oil into something softer, and see how that works.

Thanks again for your help!
Much appreciated.
Todd

Todd, lard is available in virtually all the grocery stores, assuming you are in the metro area. Walmart also has it. Look in the baking aisle by the shortening, or the meat section usually somewhere near the bacon. If you aren't opposed to animal fats, lard makes a lovely soap.

It is also available in my Walmart in the "seasonal aisle". Don't ask me why. I just know that here lately they have been pricing Snow Cap lard at half the price of Armour, so I have been buying every bit I can get my hands on.

Lard truly does make some lovely soap. Rich, creamy lather that keeps most of my skin from needing any lotion. Even in the winter (although I must confess that I live in the humid south). It is amazing. If you can buy tallow, lard + tallow is the best combination, IMHO. I can't buy it locally, so I am going to have to order some here soon. My son is coming next month, and he will probably empty my soap stash to take back with him.

Last edited:
I just noticed Snow Cap Lard in the baking section separate from the Armour. I've bought several packages as it was cheaper than Armour. I'd never seen it before.

Hi All,
I've been using pretty much a single recipe for all my soaping over the last couple years, and it's been generally well received.

Thanks!
Todd

Heresy, I know, but...

If you are going to try and stick with one recipe then lard may not be a good alternative ingredient to use as there are a few people who object to using it and it may limit your customer base.

Also, some people have had problems with DOS using high percentages of lard in their soap. MInd you, some people can get DOS in soap with no lard too. :)

It is also available in my Walmart in the "seasonal aisle". Don't ask me why.

Since you live in Texas now, it's probably because Christmas/New Year's-time is tamale-making season in the southwestern USA, which are traditionally made with lard. We make gobs of tamales for New Years Eve, even though even though none in my family is of Hispanic descent. They are really quite yummy!

I can find SnowCap lard all-year round at just about every local grocery store in my neck of the woods (and also Walmart). It's always stocked down the baking aisle, right next to the Crisco and other oils. At Christmas time, they just stock much more of it.

IrishLass :)

Back