Recent influx of spam?

Discussion in 'SMF Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules' started by toxikon, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Oct 10, 2017 #1

toxikon

toxikon

toxikon

Supporting Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed an influx of spam users with links to sports/entertainment broadcast crap.

The mods/admins are doing a fabulous job of dealing with it hastily, but I wonder if there is some better solution to prevent these spammers from even signing up in the first place and cluttering up the forum with their crap.

I don't know if they're bots or humans, and humans are obviously more tricky to deal with. ReCaptcha would help with bots, definitely. There are some plug-ins that can be installed that could help too.

Anyway - just brainstorming. I've been seeing these posts popup sometimes several times a day - and it's been going on for a month or two. Perhaps it's time to take action.

Dahila likes this.
  2. Oct 10, 2017 #2

Kittish

Kittish

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie Supporting Member

One option I've seen used is direct moderation of new members. A brand new member's first post (or two? some other number?) must be approved by a mod to actually reach the forum. It's a lot of work for the mods, and will almost certainly get some newbie noses out of joint, but it would put a stop to most of the spam that they have to come 'round and delete anyway.

NsMar42111 and Arimara like this.
  3. Oct 10, 2017 #3

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin  

We had tried something yesterday and apparently it did not do what we hoped it would. Now, all new members have to get through me for a few days. If you see a spam, they were registered before this posting. And we are looking into other things.

There appears to be a brand new class of spammers. Many spam filters will catch them if there is 2 or 3 prior spams reported, these are so new the post here may be the first of their "career".

Thanks for bearing with us.

SaltedFig, Susie, Arthur Dent and 2 others like this.
  4. Oct 10, 2017 #4

Millie

Millie

Millie

It feels welcoming here having a first post instantly added and receiving quick responses from forum members. I would hate to see that go away. I was glued to the computer during my first thread, and got great feedback from Dixiedragon, The Gent and CMZaha. Forever greatful to you gals and guy :)

If it's the same amount of work for the admin/mod team, I hope things can go back to instant posting for newbies soon. I think it's usually pretty easy for members to spot spam threads.

SoapTrey, cmzaha, Susie and 1 other person like this.
  5. Oct 10, 2017 #5

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Looks like someone is practicing/testing the system setup.

I hope you find how they are bypassing your blocks soon (so you can auto-block them).

I agree that the ease of joining up and joining in is a nice feature of this forum.

Good luck!

6. Oct 10, 2017 #6

Kittish

Kittish

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie Supporting Member

That, or someone registered names en masse before the change and now they're working through them.

NsMar42111 likes this.
  7. Oct 10, 2017 #7

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin  

Both of you may be correct. But we'll keep hunting and bashing them.

SaltedFig, Millie and Susie like this.
  8. Oct 11, 2017 #8

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

Supporting Member

I see the new one, I stopped reporting it, should I report it when it shows?

9. Oct 11, 2017 #9

Susie

Susie

Susie

Supporting Member

The mods do an excellent job of bashing them when they see them. The posts rarely stick around an hour.

10. Oct 11, 2017 #10

toxikon

toxikon

toxikon

Supporting Member

Yup... I mentioned in my post that the mods are doing a great job. I'd just hope there's some kind of easy solution to prevent spammers signing up in the first place to make it a bit easier on the mods. Maybe there isn't unfortunately!

Millie likes this.
  11. Oct 11, 2017 #11

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin  

Keep reporting them, we cannot see every thread all the time.

Steve85569 likes this.
  12. Oct 11, 2017 #12

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin  

Dahila, I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but I'll try to answer. If you see a new spam post appear that you haven't reported on previously, please do report it, but it's not necessary for one to report the same spam post again. I hope that answers your question. :)

One blessing in a sense is that all the recent the spam attacks we've been getting lately seem to be confined exclusively to the Aromatherapy section (although some of the more subtle ones make it into the Intro section). I automatically go to the Aromatherapy section first now whenever I log on in order to nip whatever spammy thing I can find there in the bud. For whatever reason, the url/address for that particular section has made it onto someone's mass spam attack list.

Edited to add- looks like Angie and I were cross posting. lol

IrishLass :)

Angie, NsMar42111 and Steve85569 like this.
  13. Oct 11, 2017 #13

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

Supporting Member

Irishlass I would not report the same post twice, too many years on internet and forums. :)

IrishLass likes this.
  14. Oct 11, 2017 #14

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

I'm glad this post popped up - I had completely missed/forgotten about the report button ... yeah I know, it's got a bright red triangle around an exclamation mark and sits at the bottom of EVERY post ... you'd think it would have registered with me, but no ... :headbanging:

My excuse is I'm sick today ... cough ... cough ...

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  15. Oct 11, 2017 #15

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter

The modmins do a fab job. I agree, if you've reported one post by a certain spam user that you shouldn't report another by the same user - that second one will also disappear. But do report spam as quick as you can (said Dr Seuss)

16. Oct 12, 2017 #16

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

The mods and admins here are doing a GREAT job.
    All the spam that shows up here is in the same alphabet. There are some that spam inmany different others.

Keep up the good work and many thanks for doing it!!!