Rebatching with both oil and water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I made a batch of cocoa butter soap last November but unfortunately it seperated a little when in mold. Since I was using a cylindrical mold, the parts of oil seperated leaked out of the mold. I measured the weight before and after the leak and roughly estimated that I lost abt 50g from the 500g oil I used. I was really distraught at the time, so I left the entire loaf alone on my shelf without cutting.

I recently cut off a piece from it and tried washing with it. It was surprisingly decent, def not lye heavy and washed normally. However, since it had been sitting for so long and had a high butter content to start with, there's no way I can get even bars out of it, which is why I want to rebatch it instead of chucking it.

My question is: I want to use olive oil to fill in the weight of the oil leaked when rebatching, but I feel like it may not be enough to make the batter fluid enough to be stuffed into a mold, so I may need to add water as well. As we all know water and oil doesn't mix well, so can I do that in rebatching, or should I just try to make up the gentleness with glycerin and water?

I'm wondering why you want to add more fat if the soap isn't lye heavy?

I take it the fat in this soap is mostly cocoa butter? If so, raising the superfat isn't that likely to increase the mildness -- it's not like this is a 100% coconut oil soap.

I wouldn't add glycerin -- there's already enough glycerin in handcrafted soap just from the saponification reaction.

I'm wondering why you want to add more fat if the soap isn't lye heavy?

I take it the fat in this soap is mostly cocoa butter? If so, raising the superfat isn't that likely to increase the mildness -- it's not like this is a 100% coconut oil soap.

I wouldn't add glycerin -- there's already enough glycerin in handcrafted soap just from the saponification reaction.
The recipe was cocoa butter, SAO, OO, avocado and wheat germ so no cleasing oil at all.
I guess I just subconsciously tried to make up the leaked oil and saw people adding oil to rebatch soaps. Only done rebatch once and only because it was ugly, so not very familiar with the process.

Latest posts

Back