Rebatching.... whipped vs regular

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vickyn

Reaction score
I made a really nice soap with tangerine peel and EO. Half is perfect and the other half has come out with tons of holes. So I figure it's a good time to try rebatching. (I only have a double boiler, if that makes a difference)

Is there a difference between whipped method and regular, other than the process itself? I've seen tons of videos with whipped using only milk, but water in the regular method. Does one effect the lather or recipie more than the other... etc.

I need some experienced help and thoughts.

I've done both, and I prefer whipped just to make a smoother soap. The non-whipped is going to have a more chunky look and feel to it. You can use the thin liquid of your preference for either method: ACV, AVJ, water, milks. I personally don't use milk or yogurt in rebatch soap because I'm concerned that it could go bad, given that everything was pre-saponified. Maybe someone else here can comment on their experiences with that.

Thanks @AliOop That's really helpful. Have you always changed the rebatch into something new, or have you tried just remaking the same soap? All the things I've seen seem to create something new and I was curious if the rebatch comes out smell and colour wise, the same?

I usually create a totally new soap using scraps from a bunch of other batches. But I have made a redo of the same soap when I wasn't happy with it the first time. For instance, one time the bars were all mangled because three or four strings broke on my grid cutter. Thankfully, it was a solid color soap, so I was able to grate it up and rebatch it as a single batch.

Either way, I generally add more liquid and fragrance, and sometimes color, too. Rebatch soap often ends up muddy brown due to combining a bunch of different colors, so I'll add carob or cocoa powder to get a deep brown, or charcoal to turn it black.

Ah ok, I see. So it's the combination of multiple soaps that means people create something new. Mine's a bight orange, but a single colour and one soap recipie, so I might see what happens when it melts down for the colour and EO. Fab, thanks for the comments and help. It should be an interesting experiment as a first rebatch.... :oops:

If you are using a single color soap and only diluting it slightly with water, the color should remain pretty constant, maybe a bit lighter.

I ilke to rebatch in the microwave. Melting in the slow cooker takes so long, and it's impossible to get all the soap scraped out of the heavy crock. For the microwave, start with 2-minute bursts, stirring in between. When it is mostly melted, go to one-minute bursts. When it is fully melted, then you can use the stick blender or hand-mixer to blend it until smooth.

Another way to rebatch, which I have not yet tried, it to melt it all down in the oven. I think this is the method @IrishLass uses and has described in one or more threads here.

However you choose to do it, be sure to post some before and after pics. :)

Ah my life would be so much easier if I lived back in the UK. Haha. I'd love to use either but here in Hong Kong, no microwaves or ovens. Just rice cookers and induction hobs.... such is my life. No dishwashers either so soaping really is a labour of love 😊
I will do. Thanks so much for all the info @AliOop

Ah my life would be so much easier if I lived back in the UK. Haha. I'd love to use either but here in Hong Kong, no microwaves or ovens. Just rice cookers and induction hobs.... such is my life. No dishwashers either so soaping really is a labour of love 😊
That's O.K. I live where I have the option of all that and don't use a microwave anyway. Oven and dishwasher, yes! But I still always wash my soap pot by hand.

Is there a difference between whipped method and regular, other than the process itself? I've seen tons of videos with whipped using only milk, but water in the regular method. Does one effect the lather or recipie more than the other... etc.

I don't rebatch myself, but have researched it enough to know that you can NOT add fresh ingredients like milk or customize it by adding oils/butters. Remember, your soap has already saponified so those ingredients will not mix in or they will spoil and you'll end up a greasy or rancid bar of soap.

Whipping your soap will produce a smoother and lighter soap...and more soap because you are increasing the volume of your with air.

You are so welcome! FWIW, many soapers in the US also use an induction hob or standalone stove element to melt their oils, cook their HP batter, and melt their rebatches. Some say to make a double-boiler system, but I've always used the pan right on the heating element, set to low heat, with no problems at all. Good luck, and show us your pics when you are done. :)

I don't rebatch myself, but have researched it enough to know that you can NOT add fresh ingredients like milk or customize it by adding oils/butters. Remember, your soap has already saponified so those ingredients will not mix in or they will spoil and you'll end up a greasy or rancid bar of soap.
Thanks for adding your wisdom about that. I've seen others rebatch with milks, etc., and have always wondered how it doesn't spoil, so I've never tried it myself. ACV is my rebatch liquid of choice.

You are so welcome! FWIW, many soapers in the US also use an induction hob or standalone stove element to melt their oils, cook their HP batter, and melt their rebatches. Some say to make a double-boiler system, but I've always used the pan right on the heating element, set to low heat, with no problems at all. Good luck, and show us your pics when you are done. :)

Thanks for adding your wisdom about that. I've seen others rebatch with milks, etc., and have always wondered how it doesn't spoil, so I've never tried it myself. ACV is my rebatch liquid of choice.
I thought I was just missing something, but all the whipped videos on YT seemed to use milk and the non whipped, water. Weird. I think water is a good way to go. I've made a goats milk soap with powder before (only fresh option is soy) and it's nice but grainey. Never been able to get the powder smooth. Anyhoo, I think you're both right about the milk. Not sure about it going off......
I've got something in my molds at the moment, but should be able to try it on Monday. Not sure how the orange peel is going to react, but we'll see. Pics to definitely follow.

That's O.K. I live where I have the option of all that and don't use a microwave anyway. Oven and dishwasher, yes! But I still always wash my soap pot by hand.
Ahhhh but you have the dishwasher.... what my poor little washing wrinkled hands wouldn't give to have a dishwasher back in my life..... and a much bigger kitchen.

Ahhhh but you have the dishwasher.... what my poor little washing wrinkled hands wouldn't give to have a dishwasher back in my life..... and a much bigger kitchen.
Oh, yes, I would miss it terribly! So sorry you can't have one. My hands can't stand being in hot water. I use gloves for handwashing.

Are they holes or air bubbles or air pockets? If they are just air bubbles or air pockets just let the soap cure and use them as learning bars. Re-batching is a lot of work for air bubbles.
Mainly air bubbles I think. The trace got a bit thick towards the end and I was struggling to get it in the mold. But I have to learn to rebatch at some point, so I figured it would be a bit quicker with a small amount, plus getting to try the technique. But you're right, probably a lot of work for a small amount

So my husband decided that I was going to try his pine EO soap for rebatch..... 😐. I'd had a bad day and he had listened to me bang on about trying the technique over the weekend, so I came home to find a lost in translation moment where he wanted to be nice and grated all the soap. The wrong soap. But whatever, it was his soap so meh..... anyhoo, at his request he did not want whipped, so that is still to try, but I actually quite like the results of the chunky soap. The top looks like aged leather which I think is more to do with the colour.
So results are that this was a single colour EO scented soap with pine and peppermint. The colour is the same as the original although mottled and the scent is a bit lighter, but definitely still there. I also think I added too much water but a lesson learned.

20200804_221536.jpg

20200804_221516.jpg

Sorry @Vickyn I must have missed this post a few weeks back. Your soap looks great - I really love that color! That is a really excellent result for rebatched soap.

And I had to smile about your story of the husband wanting to help but grating the wrong soap. Thank goodness you hadn't talked about melting down some of your prized jewelry, eh? :D

Sorry @Vickyn I must have missed this post a few weeks back. Your soap looks great - I really love that color! That is a really excellent result for rebatched soap.

And I had to smile about your story of the husband wanting to help but grating the wrong soap. Thank goodness you hadn't talked about melting down some of your prized jewelry, eh? :D
🤣 oh that would not have got an understanding response..... 🤣

Back