Rebatching to get scent back?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could rebatch soap that has its eo scent faded? Rebatching is not something I have done but only once. I have soap that is perfectly good....only thing is that the blend that I used wasnt strong enough to last, this soap is like 6 months old. Since I have sold most, I would like to sale all and retire the blend. My blend was lemongrass 14%, peppermint 28% and lavender 57%. This is a CP soap and I used indigo blue for a blue. I see that all are top notes, Lemongrass and Lavender being middle to top anyway.

Yes, you can rebatch to add scent back in but the resulting soap won't look as nice as it does now. You should ask what would sell better, pretty soap with faint scent or rustic soap with more scent.
I hate rebatching and will never do it again unless its to save a special batch. I'd rather toss my not so perfect soap then rebatch lol.

There are plenty of people who like soaps that have less strong scent. The soap is perfectly good, but has just lost a bit of the scent notes. I'd keep it as is, only lower the price since its being discontinued anyway. You don't want to sink more money (and time!) into something that isn't making a lot of money to begin with by re-batching the soap and adding more EO. Big companies discount all the time when they discontinue anything. Just clearly label that the soap is being discontinued when you put that its on sale.

This is a good tactic for a few reasons:

1. those that like the soap will think they are getting a great deal and possibly stock up
2. You re-coup costs faster
3. You free space for faster selling inventory.
4. If someone is on the fence about trying your soap but doesnt want to pay full price this is a great way to get the "foot-in-door".

Re-batching is not bad (I don't mind it) but, you should only do it when it really makes sense unless this is your soapy focus.

Yes, you can rebatch to add scent back in but the resulting soap won't look as nice as it does now. You should ask what would sell better, pretty soap with faint scent or rustic soap with more scent.
I hate rebatching and will never do it again unless its to save a special batch. I'd rather toss my not so perfect soap then rebatch lol.

There are plenty of people who like soaps that have less strong scent. The soap is perfectly good, but has just lost a bit of the scent notes. I'd keep it as is, only lower the price since its being discontinued anyway. You don't want to sink more money (and time!) into something that isn't making a lot of money to begin with by re-batching the soap and adding more EO. Big companies discount all the time when they discontinue anything. Just clearly label that the soap is being discontinued when you put that its on sale.

This is a good tactic for a few reasons:

1. those that like the soap will think they are getting a great deal and possibly stock up
2. You re-coup costs faster
3. You free space for faster selling inventory.
4. If someone is on the fence about trying your soap but doesnt want to pay full price this is a great way to get the "foot-in-door".

Re-batching is not bad (I don't mind it) but, you should only do it when it really makes sense unless this is your soapy focus.

I dont care to rebatch much either Obsidian, Galaxy, your insight is good. I hadnt thought any of what you wrote, I will discount. Thanks so much. :clap:

What Galaxy said ... and also keep in mind the added expense of the EOs you would have to use in the rebatch as well as the value of your time. I use EOs in most of my other products -- love 'em -- just not in soap.

Latest posts

Back