Rebatching Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeblossom

Reaction score
So we decided I should rebatch my CPOP oatmeal honey beeswax soap that I made 10 days ago. Here's the thing, my daughter got sick, then I got sick, then I chipped a dead tooth and had a root canal. I am only now feeling better. I am cleaning out my crock pot (it's soaking in the sink, grimy from being stored in the basement w/o it's lid).

So, is it too late to rebatch 10 days later? It's cut into bars and been on a drying rack. I'm not sure what to do.

Also, has anyone used those slowcooker bags that renold's makes for "easy cleanup" when rebatching soap? I wasn't sure if they would be a help or a hinderance. (I can't spell right now).

Is the soap lye heavy?

If its soap, and you dont like the way it came out.. how about cutting it into chunks, make another batch and throw in the chunks into the new batch. and some on top for a "decorative" top

I tried using those bags in my crockpot to rebatch but didn't like it. It was a nuisance. Anyway I only rebatch in the oven and if you don't like the batch you've made you can do what smell it like is says or re do it! I love rebatching and found that the oven is great! JMO

well, I guess my question now is, this: I think there was a little zap when I tested my bars.....but it was hard to tell. Will this disappear over time? Or do I have to rebatch? Should I just wait 2 months to let them cure? Some of the batch separated, which is why I thought I should rebatch, but it's been about 2 weeks now so I'm not sure what to do.

How would I rebatch in the oven?

Just put my soap in a lined mold and turn the oven on? What temp and how long?

Thanks! I've never rebatched before, which is why so many questions!

If after 10 days cure and it still has zap, you can throw it in the crock pot and add a little more water and perhaps a TBS of an oil to ensure you cook out the remaining lye. I always rebatch in my crock pot sans bags. It cleans up pretty easy out of the crock with a bit of a soak.

If the soap has had a bit of a cure, I will add in some liquid (aloe juice, gm, tea, etc) just a small amount at a time. The fresher the soap, the less liquid you have to add. I tend to add it at 1 TBS increments.

Thank you!

I knew making soap with a little one would be a little more challenging, and it is, but it's still a lot of fun. Thanks for the help with this strange batch of soap I made.

Back