Rebatching question

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

vedwards

Reaction score
So here's a question - if I'm rebatching a soap I missed an ingredient in, I'll add in the missing ingredient, but can I also add in a little milk too, or would it be too much liquid? Its been sitting for about 3 days, so its still pretty fresh. I went today and found an insert at the thrift store that will work (I think) for my crockpot so I can try this tomorrow.

Also, I've seen directions for using one of those baking bags in a pot of boiling water rather than the crockpot. I like the easy clean up aspect of that idea, but the crock pot also seems a little more reliable. Has anyone used the bag method?

Obsidian

Reaction score
You can add a little milk if needed but not too much. Since its fresh, it should melt down fairly smooth without a bunch of added liquid.

vedwards

Reaction score
You can add a little milk if needed but not too much. Since its fresh, it should melt down fairly smooth without a bunch of added liquid.
Thanks! I figured it would only be a little, if any. We'll try it and see, I guess!

vedwards

Reaction score
Okay. I did the rebatch on Sunday, adding the missing olive oil and a couple tablespoons of milk, cooking it down until fully melted, then cooking until the edges were translucent, and then cooking for a couple hours after. The color never changed, the texture was like thin mashed potatoes, and it did get bubbly/airy a few times. As it wasn't changing color anymore, I molded it.

Today, the top was pretty hard, and I unmolded and cut it. Its VERY soft. This is the first time I rebatched anything, so I'm wondering - is this because of the milk, and it will be okay after a cure, or did I not cook it long enough?

I know, without actually seeing it, its hard. But I'd appreciate any insight I can get!

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hp (including rebatches, sometimes even more so with rebatches!) can be very soft for a long time - it's the reason that I cure my hp soaps for longer than my cp ones