Rebatching partially gelled CP Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You've all be so helpful!

I unmolded my Aleppo soap the day before yesterday. I saw signs that it had partially gelled, but didn't have time to investigate. Today I had a better look and I'm not pleased. The bars are chalky on the outside and a deeper green in the middle. I used 80% olive oil and 20% Laurel Berry Oil, and put it into individual molds.

I'd like to rebatch. How? When? What do I do? I think I like the chalky color better for these bars - it is closer to the traditional look of the soap to my mind. But is that even possible? I'll settle for an even color, whichever it is.

By rebatching you are going to make a very rustic looking bar that does not resemble true looking Aleppo, since you really cannot get a smooth pour with rebatch. There is nothing wrong with the partial gel and it will even out a little in color after it cures. I really think you would be happier with the partial gel than a rebatch.

AF1QipNuxnDpIy3cJD0mkXqxo2jdAZ181vQVB64qpvfO

ycJ6NgmmgCh0OlW47V5KNHeZuHVgatzt8ubtfTGUHDJr1Orkectl63QW84xqY1WgKndrUEgiL7TFAnZkQE7-W0onapXI938jckoiSfhcyPgGAP-9ieFmrlLBFATy8L6HEdR2BvvGxl2FA4rPhG4-4YkXuc4zLAUYvlzZCVTCHYBytNNHTHaQuNkQqXi6ShB-ikhX6F37dLg4_oMN2xv-rtgJOCpwuEZ31rUFbSl9Peq4gcRNGvwdGMe6B-ZQZ62UTflB91UCjafcP40oP1UENjOjQK4-BXMPvNtwuSwR33AE6muv52uKX3_A4Bp2oKZOQFJhdRQyqGTLBlSWdiMBW9hwzbmpboacBxjcUsbLySJRcpdDHAtaHfTCwIFwQd0pKKaJuIyZNJR8DtOKjsv7ZFEYquh6T-f433uLeoAB2sMR9D220tAke5jtQebyWkiiv8EN2RREqSRNxqO7shaynXhr2j2LdDbUT07ZzLJWxLQn9hXFzKKcaM_pzHQTtetTdGRbQknVqan7lAh-IcHeNcLRnD7XUktESe02hvIquwotBuL9Wy-dMgvEQvPyBMRRggd7YIn3jNvre5exQKJ9-svpNyQSUiGtR5Jxvm2NE402JS6AGe3ICq3L7h9dhWTH=w704-h938-no

This is what it looks like. I've got 6 of the tree molds, so I put the remaining in a plain round mold.

I found the rebatching african black soap thread, and am considering adding the already made soap (grated) to a new batch of the same, using pure&simple's method? I have enough LBO to make a second equal batch. What if I made the new batch with 38% water so it was plenty "moist" and then chilled it once I put the whole batch into a loaf mold?

I'm mostly "thinking out loud" here. Open to any and all thoughts.

So, I tried to grate one of the bars and it was mostly grate-able on the outside,but the inside was like cookie dough. I added some of the shreds to the batch of other soap I was making., as confetti in the mold. We'll see.

I think I'm becoming a mad-soap-monster!

Last edited:
That’s heavy ash. I had something similar happen with the few bars I made outside fo a loaf mold with a similar recipe. I don’t think it’s partial gel at all from the picture. Individual molds are really hard to get any type of gel.

Back