Rebatching for over-fragrancing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry...but I think I am NOT understanding what you are requesting. Are you saying that I cannot make more than one post per thread at a time, until someone else has posted after me? I was replying to different people one post after the other. I have never experienced this in any other forum, so I am having a difficult time understanding.

How do I reply to more than one person in one post with quotes for both?

Last edited:
Sorry...but I think I am NOT understanding what you are requesting. Are you saying that I cannot make more than one post per thread at a time, until someone else has posted after me? I was replying to different people one post after the other. I have never experienced this in any other forum, so I am having a difficult time understanding.
If you'd like to reply to several people/responses, you can use the "multi-quote" button and do it all in one nice little post, rather than post after post after post. On a computer it's the button next to "Quote" with the plus sign. It will let you select all the posts you want to reply to, and then format them so you can respond to them but in one post.

You can click on the "Multi Quote" button, the one with the " and the + next to the quote button. Do this on all posts you want to quote except for the last one, on which you just click quote. This makes one post with all of the quotes in one. Saves me having to merge all of them

Look to the right of the screen. You will see something called "newest threads". A thread is when you start a new topic. Rather than continuing a discussion on one thread, you quickly start a new thread with a very similar topic. For example, you started a thread "Lavender Scent Pricing," then started a new thread "What do you use to scent your soaps? EOs or FOs?" In that situation, that discussion was going in that direction. No need for a new thread. Doing it once isn't a big deal, but you are doing it OVER AND OVER. If you have a new question, you can edit your first post to add your new question. On that thread, notice that many answers were the same information.

As far as I can tell, your batch with the Oatmeal, Milk and Honey scent has 6 different threads dedicated to it.

If you are freaked out and need stuff for Christmas, may I suggest bath bombs, lotion bars or sugar scrubs? Those have all been requested by friends and family, and they are easy to make.

Go to http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/ and type in either "lotion bars" or "oil sugar scrubs" in the search bar on the right. Or search the bath and body forum here, especially for "bath bombs".

Just leave your soap a bit - you CANT evaluate it when its this young. Melt and pour might be a good choice for you - especially to try out scents.

Slow down and ask similar questions in your already existing threads - your questions about your OMH soap could have been one thread on its own instead of multiples, and the answers would have been MUCH easier for you to find and refer back to.

If you'd like to reply to several people/responses, you can use the "multi-quote" button and do it all in one nice little post, rather than post after post after post. On a computer it's the button next to "Quote" with the plus sign. It will let you select all the posts you want to reply to, and then format them so you can respond to them but in one post.

You can click on the "Multi Quote" button, the one with the " and the + next to the quote button. Do this on all posts you want to quote except for the last one, on which you just click quote. This makes one post with all of the quotes in one. Saves me having to merge all of them

Ah!! OK!! I never knew!! Thanks for your help!! Hopefully that will clear up a lot of frustration on both our parts!!

So now, the other rule is...I should not make more than one post before someone else posts after me?

So now, the other rule is...I should not make more than one post before someone else posts after me?

I think you should imagine forum posts as conversations. If you were at a party and started a conversation with people by the bar - a question about scents, and then while a few people were answering your question, you then walked over to the buffet and asked another question about overheating scents. While the people around the buffet were talking about overheating scents they realize that the bar group is also discussing the original scent question. And THEN you wander over to the bar again and ask those people about what to do if a scent is too strong.

Can you see how people might get annoyed? Stay in one place! Listen and interact with the people who are responding to you. This isn't a panel of people to quiz - its just a bunch of friends hanging out.

And you can also use the "Like" button to do the forum equivalent of smiling and nodding at someone who makes an interesting comment. Rather than make a one-line "Gee that was nice" or a "me too" post that doesn't really contribute much to the discussion, you can instead "Like" a post to show you saw it and enjoy or agree with what was said. Not to say you always have to do this, but that's a good use of the Like button.

"...So now, the other rule is...I should not make more than one post before someone else posts after me?..."

Yes, this is generally the appropriate thing to do.

Last edited:
Re-batching for over-fragrancing and other suggestions

First allow me to apologize, because I haven't read your other threads.

However, (here is my Canadian $.02 worth, at the moment that's not worth much) if you are in a hurry to create gifts. As someone else suggested, Melt & Pour would work (I've never tried, but there are lots of youtube videos to help). Another idea is to make liquid soap the cheap/easy way! Here is a fun video to get you started. You can use store bought soap or buy someone else's handmade soap. Once your own soap has had proper time to cure, you can even use this method to dilute your own soap with heavy fragrance. My other suggestion (I don't think this was mentioned before) is to convert unwanted soap to laundry soap (but that would depend on the % of Superfat.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DKT6w3AdQ"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DKT6w3AdQ[/ame]

I hope this helps,

However, (here is my Canadian $.02 worth, at the moment that's not worth much) if you are in a hurry to create gifts. As someone else suggested, Melt & Pour would work (I've never tried, but there are lots of youtube videos to help). Another idea is to make liquid soap the cheap/easy way! Here is a fun video to get you started. You can use store bought soap or buy someone else's handmade soap. Once your own soap has had proper time to cure, you can even use this method to dilute your own soap with heavy fragrance. My other suggestion (I don't think this was mentioned before) is to convert unwanted soap to laundry soap (but that would depend on the % of Superfat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DKT6w3AdQ

I hope this helps,

Thank you! What a cool idea!! I will have to give it a try!!

BTW...the problem of the over-fragranced soap is solved! We put it in a room right in front of an ozone generator for 24 hours and the smell is very faint on the soap now, which is what I had wanted. We brought it out to the dining room and sitting in the kitchen, I can't even smell it now. I would rather it had NO scent than too strong a scent!

However, the bars look oily. I think that the FO is seeping. I had added 2 oz to a 2 lb bar. I wonder what I can do about the oiliness? The bars look a lot darker, too....

In one of your threads, I mentioned that your fragrance oil was a discoloring one. It will be darker than you are used to.

Rebatching-fragrance heavy

I should have mentioned, if you use the "Cheap Geek" method to make liquid soap, you will need to adjust the water depending on the soap you use. Make it as is and see how it turns out, and adjust according to taste.

As for the oiliness, sorry I can't help. I've never had that problem, well at least not yet. But I use very little or no scent in anything I make. I started making soap to get away from the chemicals, colors and heavy scents of the commercial alternatives. However, I still admire all the beautiful swirls and artistic soaps. I have to stick to using Hot Process in order to avoid the artistic temptations of Cold Process and Melt & Pour.

Hope this helps

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DKT6w3AdQ

I hope this helps,

This will not yield good liquid soap. Sorry, it is only going to give you a snotty consistency mess. If you want to make good liquid soap, wander over to the liquid soap forum and read there.

I agree with Susie on the liquid soap recommendation. Tried it, what a snotty mess. Make real liquid soap. However, if you are new, make CP/HP and grasp the knowledge as LS is a different ballgame.

Snot

I think the snot mentioned is from people adding extra ingredients (when making the liquid from bar soap). I've made liquid soap from commerical bar soaps (all be it years ago), and I only once experienced the snot. When I stuck to soap and water I produced no snot. I use the same method (there are 100+ videos to demonstrate) to make my own version of laundry soap and I have yet to experience the snot. I think it really depends on which commercial brand of bar you use.

I think if you are going to soap, you need to pick one method and perfect/understand it before moving on. But like I said I'm Canadian and sadly my $.02 isn't worth much this week.

I don't recall what your superfat % was in this batch. But some batches do have a bit of oil sweating when they are fresh. Leave it alone and it will probably re-absorb.

Back