Rebatching Drying Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
Hi Soaperts,

My 100% CO 20% SF soap is intolerably drying, even with applying moisturizer after use. I have 6 bars left that I dont want to waste. How much oil would I have to add per oz of soap to correct the dryness in a rebatch? Would I also need to add water? If so, how much per oz of soap?

Thx in advance!

Last edited:
If you have a sensitivity to high levels of CO, no amount of oil will work, I'm afraid!

And what with already being at 20% SF, I personally wouldn't be adding any more, or any other type of oil.

What I might try is chopping that small, into curds, inserts, or fine shavings, and using it as an additive into new batches of soap. How tolerant you are of what amount is going to determine how much you use...maybe batch that into a soap at one-third the total? If that doesn't work, you can cut that up and use it as inserts in yet a new batch to dilute it further...

I just did the same thing, Hp. Tried it last night,,,, not liking it at all.

Funny, my Salt bars are not even that drying

Edit to add that I plan on shredding this soap in it's own bag and then rebatching part of it with other shreds I have.
That way I am not totally tossing it :)

Last edited:
I doubt more oil will tame this soap. Your skin may be sensitive to the high % of lauric and myristic acids from the coconut oil, and that problem won't disappear with more oil. You should probably grate the soap and add it as "confetti" to a new batch of soap that has very low or no coconut oil and a very low superfat. The new soap will balance the unbalanced properties of the coconut oil soap and the result should be milder. Only thing to keep in mind is your skin may be the type that can't handle any lauric-myristic acid at all.

If I find a soap too drying (I've never made 20% SF, though), I might convert it into a laundry soap. However, my best bet is to mix it with hot water (enough to make it gel-like when it cools by the next morning) -- and use a bit of that in the water for mopping floors. I have natural stone floors, so natural soap is great -- my floors look super clean!

This soap might be fine for floors, but the 20% superfat might not be a good idea for laundry.

Thx all for the comments. Wish the articles recommending 100% CO 20% SF soap were scrubbed from the internet. It makes a vile bar (or 9 in my case) of soap. Moving fwd, Im following “the rules!” Hope to report bk with succees soon.

BTW, I live in major city. What kind of store sells cheap almond oil? Im having difficulty finding it. We dont have the old hippy health food stores anymore. Miss them.

Thx all for the comments. Wish the articles recommending 100% CO 20% SF soap were scrubbed from the internet. It makes a vile bar (or 9 in my case) of soap. Moving fwd, Im following “the rules!” Hope to report bk with succees soon.
Just a thought -- does it work well as dish soap? I don't have a dishwasher, so I wash all my dishes by hand. (And many of my soaps land up there.) If your soap is so drying on the hands, it may not leave your dishes oily either? You could try.

Just a thought -- does it work well as dish soap? I don't have a dishwasher, so I wash all my dishes by hand. (And many of my soaps land up there.) If your soap is so drying on the hands, it may not leave your dishes oily either? You could try.

Nope...too oily.

I would grate it and make confetti soap. Do not use it for laundry, as DeeAnna stated it is to superfatted for laundry. As for dish soap, I have to admit I still prefer surfacant based Dish Detergent

BTW, I live in major city. What kind of store sells cheap almond oil? Im having difficulty finding it. We dont have the old hippy health food stores anymore. Miss them.

Curious, how long did you cure this soap? I love 100% coconut soap but it must be cured at least 6 months or it's harsh, even with a high sf

Curious, how long did you cure this soap? I love 100% coconut soap but it must be cured at least 6 months or it's harsh, even with a high sf

Cured a month. I’m moving to HP. Cant wait for CP results. Just bought fixins for almond oil, CO, cocoa butter, castor oil soap. Back in to the pool!

See if you can find a masseuse to chat to :) ... sweet almond oil is often used as the main (carrier) oil by massage therapists.

"...I’m moving to HP. Cant wait for CP results...."

Hmm. If you can't wait for CP soap to be ready, what makes you think HP soap is ready any sooner? The only difference between the two is the time needed for saponification, and that's only a day or two. The cure time to get a decently hard, lathery, and mild bar is roughly the same for both.

"...I’m moving to HP. Cant wait for CP results...."

Hmm. If you can't wait for CP soap to be ready, what makes you think HP soap is ready any sooner? The only difference between the two is the time needed for saponification, and that's only a day or two. The cure time to get a decently hard, lathery, and mild bar is roughly the same for both.

Really? I read somewhere HP is ready in a day to week. :( Thx DeeAnna

Back