Rebatching BIG batches...?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets say you wanted to rebatch a 100lb master batch, what would be the best way to cut/shave the soap up for rebatch so it melts easier?? could you just cut it into little squares or would you need to actually shave it?? and if so how would you do this since by hand may not be practical??

I envision one of those meat slicers they use at deli's with a big brick of soap on it :)

Also ...How soon after you made the first batch would it be ready to rebatch? do you need to cure the soap beforehand?

how long does the rebatched soap usually take to resolidify?

can you add liquids into the rebatch? or will it not set right?? and if so what is the usual limit?

same question but for oils (superfatting?)??

Obviously if you added herbs into rebatch it would last with better integrity into the soap since it doesnt come in contact with lye??

:)

Thanks!!

Im thinking of trying to make a few, maybe two master batches nonscented and then maybe adding scents and extra oils (superfatted) in the rebatch as well as the color..is that even practical?? (I mean far down the line when I would possibly turn this hobby into a biz :) )

That is a big machine!! Im going to search for similar ones that might be cheaper ?? got to see next time a biz goes bankrupt...love those auctions...many a treasure to be found :)...

at least the economy is working for me in that respect lol...

Wow Ian, already thinking of 100# batches? Yes, the additction is on! :lol: There is something about good clean fun AND making money at the same time.

I have read of people keeping unscented batches and scenting or adding extras as people order. Don't recall if they were doing M&P or cp.

Some soapmakers sell logs of unscented cp for rebatching.

Digit

PS When you are that big, will we see you out on the back porch washing clothes with a wash board and tub?

digit said:
Wow Ian, already thinking of 100# batches? Yes, the additction is on! :lol: There is something about good clean fun AND making money at the same time.

I have read of people keeping unscented batches and scenting or adding extras as people order. Don't recall if they were doing M&P or cp.

Some soapmakers sell logs of unscented cp for rebatching.

Digit

PS When you are that big, will we see you out on the back porch washing clothes with a wash board and tub?

lol probably be washboarding my clothes before that happens! I want to try and transition over to doing my all my own clothes gradually!...be able to make nearly everything I use in daily life :D!!!...ps i used my orange chocolate soap for toothepaste today because I ran out and Im out of town and didnt feel like going to the store...it worked but YUCK! lol...so wont try that too often ;)

lol....yes Im addicted! yeah big batches have been on my mind for some time! I love this as a hobby, but would love it even MORE if I could eventually turn it into business...a lifestyle...ya know!?!? so I could do a few little business ventures and not have to work in the corporate culture..thats my dream!! :)

one day.... just have to work towards it for now and try a million batches until Im comfortable with my knowledge and experience to make the next step, but Im still doing all the research I can in every area anyway, the more info the better!! lol

Gee Ian, that was a mouth full!!!

Here I was trying to limit myself to one question at a time
lol yeahhhh I figure if I didnt post them all in one thread, Id be posting like a hundred threads a day lol.... sooooo many questions! and if people can answer like 70% of them then I can really try to dig for the rest so it all works out :) I love learning :D

Wouldn't it just be easier to do hot process?
proooobably yes lol...but then woudlnt I have to buy a premade soap base that someone else made?? I like to make my own!! I dont care if its harder, if I turn it into a business and it pays the bills (of course far down the line from this moment) then I dont really care how many hours Im putting into it because I think its soo fun to make my own stuff and see people enjoy it and get excited when I tell them all about how its made and whats in it and the benefits etc...I get all scientifical with people telling them about sapopnification and oils and EO's and whats in what theyre using now and ...and...and...(catching my breath) lol......yeah I could go on and on...Can you tell I love what Im doing ! :D

so if this eventually can turn into a biz, that would be saaaaaaaweeeeet.

No, Hot process is pretty much just like cold process only instead of going through the gel phase in the mould(if you are a geller), you cook it before molding it... You cook it and force it to saponify, then you can scent it and your scents should stay true. Paul does his HP in the crock pot.

I've done a little, and it kind of glumps in the mould so no swirrling or anything, but you could get creative with the layering if you wanted to. I don't like the look of hp as well as cp... BUT I like the way HP looks a lot better than a rebatched soap.

aah!! I was thinking of MP for some reason! I have no experience with either MP or HP yet...might try HP once I feel like Ive got CP down pat :)

how does a rebatched soap look compared to a nonrebatched soap?? wasnt aware there was too much of a difference??

As soon as I get CP down though Im going to try some HP :)

Ian, this is just based on my experience, which is pretty limited... BUT, my rebatches don't look that great, they aren't as smooth and tend to look more like granite or something.. I don't know how to explain it.. Maybe someone else has had a different experience??

lol not sure...the only reason this came to mind was because I talked to a soapmonger who just so happens to work and my job and she said thats how she does it , So I wanted to see if it was practical/feasable...Ill do some more poking around or if anyone drops into this thread and has pics to compare or 2nd opinions??

we all know I have limited experience with this stuff too so looking to learn as much as I can!

I only do rebatch and mp. Rebatch is difficult with only a few pounds I can't imagine me grating up 100lbs!

Also ...How soon after you made the first batch would it be ready to rebatch? do you need to cure the soap beforehand?

This I don't know because I get my cp soap made and sent to me about a week. After I rebatch I let it harden for three weeks.

how long does the rebatched soap usually take to resolidify?
Two to three weeks depends on what you put in it ie: oils and fragrance

can you add liquids into the rebatch? or will it not set right?? and if so what is the usual limit?

I posted a recipe for Goatsmilk Oatmeal and Honey in the soapmaking recipe section. I detail my method

same question but for oils (superfatting?)?? I use anything oils/butters but in moderation.

Back