Rebatching and fragrances

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPhat

Reaction score
If I'm going to rebatch a base soap, how much fragrance/essential oil should I use per pound of base?

By base soap do you mean rebatch bases which is nothing like mp soap base? If you want to learn how to rebatch I have some recipes and instructions posted in the soapmaking recipe section.

I'm a newbie so consider that as you read my post.

From what I hear, 1 oz ppo is a reasonable upper limit for CP soap, with 1/2 to 3/4 ppo being intermediate values. My limited experience seems to agree with these numbers.

I hear that HP and rebatched (hand milled) soap needs less scent because the EO/FO isn't added until after the lye has been completely reacted and the soap is neutral, so the EO is not as eaten up by your lye as with CP soap.

So based upon that, and recognizing that this is just conjecture on my part, I suggest that you might consider 1/2 oz ppo as a reasonable limit for HP, rebatched or milled soap. If you get no better answer than my conjecture you might try a smaller test batch and find out how 1/2 oz ppo works for you.

I do know how to rebatch...I just haven't added fo's.

I'm making a rebatching kit for a few friends and want to know exactly how much fragrance to give them...wouldn't want to give them more than they need and have it bother their skin.

It would really depend on the essential oil that was being added. Some are much stronger and should be used at lower volumes....ie. eucalyptus I generally use at lower volumes....0.5 oz PPO. Whereas citruses I would use @0.7 oz PPO.

Frangrance oils depend on how strong they are. I generally use my nose for FOs.

Joanne

Hmmm, I guess I'll just add a half oz. and tell them they may not need it all.

Hi -

Joanne is right - it all depends on the EO/FO. Some are stronger than others and you may need a little more. I usually test at .07 oz and adjust up or down from there.

I only add 1/2-3/4 oz pp of soap but less if the fo or eo is strong like they said.

Marr said:
Hi -

Joanne is right - it all depends on the EO/FO. Some are stronger than others and you may need a little more. I usually test at .07 oz and adjust up or down from there.
.07 or 0.7 ???

Back