Rebatch using oven bag

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baylee

Reaction score
I was researching how to rebatch. I came across a website that gave 3 options on how do... oven, crockpot and oven bag. The oven bag was pretty neat as it made the soap a little better to pour (snip corner and pour).

I am rebatching because the scent I used was less than desirable. It's been about 3 weeks since I made and it's very faint but not a very pleasing scent. I want to rebatch into a oatmeal, milk & honey soap.

In another website, they said they added honey and ground oats after the soap was 'liquidifed' (for lack of better word at the moment) enough to pour into a mold.

All websites say you can use water, milk, etc. for liquid to rebatch. If I were to use milk as the liquid, would I need to add a preservative?

Thanks in advance.

"... If I were to use milk as the liquid, would I need to add a preservative?..."

No, a bar soap will be fine without preservative. After the soap is cured/dried (4-6 weeks) the moisture content is low enough so there's little chance of microbial growth. Also, the pH of bar soap is high enough to discourage cooties from growing.

If you use milk powder in the rebatch (as opposed to fluid milk), be sure to dissolve the powder in some warm water (or fluid milk) before adding it to the soap. You may even want to strain the liquid before adding it to the soap. This will ensure you don't get lumps of milk powder that look ugly and could turn nasty.

Learned that one the hard way. Twice. :think:

I'm not super into the oven bag. My "favorite" rebatch method - aka the method that is least annoying - is to crockpot rebatch with coconut milk. I use a whole can, b/c what am I going to do with the rest? I use enough soap scraps to fill a 60 oz mold. The soap is a bit soft when cut, but it firms up eventually. If I am mixing a bunch of colors, then I add coffee grounds, which make the brown look much better.

"...I use a whole can, b/c what am I going to do with the rest?..."

Make coconut rice! Just make rice like you usually do, except use coconut milk instead of (or as a part replacement for) the water. Yuummmmmmm!

I always toss my leftover coconut milk in my smoothies, or if I have some pineapple juice on hand, I'll make me a virgin pina colada, but that rice dish that DeeAnna mentioned sounds awesome....and so does the hot cocoa that Kchaystack mentioned!

IrishLass :)

Back