Rebatch questions!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
I just started rebatching today. I am on my third batch. I am melting bars down I made a week ago so that I can remold them with my new mold, that way all my bars will be the same size/shape.

Do I need to add MORE FO before I remold it, after it melts? I mean, will the heat from the oven "burn off" my FO?

Will it ever go back to being creamy? I can't seem to get it past the melted, but chunky stage...

Adding F.O.

Hey Lane, I always add a bit more F.O. to mine. If your rebatching all the same soaps/F.O. in them then you may not need to. When melting is complete you'll know if the frag. has faded (it may not though) F.O. don't seem to burn off as quick as E.O. does. Did you grate up your soap. I do mine by hand grating but I ordered a grater/slicer for my kitchen aid.  :D hoping to cut time and not knuckles any more :wink:

Haha. I will have to look for a better way to grate... I ended up doing three, three pound batches...Almost ten pounds of soap...Needless to say... my arm hurts!

Next time I will add a bit more FO, it seems to burn off a bit. :cry: It just never got "creamy" so I had no clue when to add it...Seems as soon as I took the lid off, it started to harden...

I use a hand grater- salad shooter works I have heard. I have been going back and forth with rebatching so through my trial and errors here is what I can put in to this. I rebatch right now at least 3 bases-2 I make myself and my goat milk I buy. Here is what is working for me pretty good. I grate and then I add a little distilled water and stir it into the soap- I can't tell you how much really because I don't measure it- I would say about 1/4 cup or less per pound. Just enough to sprinkle on the soap. Then I cover it with plastic wrap overnight or 5-8 hours. After that I stick it in my trusty double boiler with some added oils not much maybe a teasp. or 2 pp- it varies, sometimes Jojoba, shea, etc...then it starts to melt down and can look chunky- once it hits this point I add a bit of milk to it or a bit of powdered milk dissolved in water, then let it go a little while longer- stir a bit- until it looks like a translucent gel sometimes it can still have little chunks in it but mine have been getting better with that. Milk can sometimes make your soap more brown but when it dries it lightens up. I would say that I don't think that a rebatched soap will never be as smooth as cp soap- it has more of a prim feel to it which isn't a bad thing at all. I'm starting personally to prefer rebatched soap to cp for personal use. The bars last longer, they seem to lather better, and those darn citrus EO's don't get lost in the lye process- EO benefits as long as you mix when the rebatch is a little cooler stay with the soap.
The only drawback is coloring it but some soap may be better uncolored anyway- my rebatch bases are made specifically to rebatch though- they aren't ones I messed up- though I rebatch those too just use them myself and I always add more FO or EO to them.
Today, I actually plan to make a rebatch soap that is colored- I'll let ya know how it goes.
Different people have different methods- I just know this works for me.

Hi,
I have a question...
If you Cp a batch of soap, do you have to wait until it fully cures before using it to re-batch?
Thanks!
Jeff

perfectsoap said:
Hi,
I have a question...
If you Cp a batch of soap, do you have to wait until it fully cures before using it to re-batch?
Thanks!
Jeff

I was wondering the same thing!! Does anyone knoe for sure about this?

Lane said:
perfectsoap said:
Hi,
I have a question...
Thanks!
Jeff

I was wondering the same thing!! Does anyone knoe for sure about this?

No you don't.

cut your soap into smaller pieces, add just a bit of liquid. Maybe about a tbs or two per pound of soap but not more than that. Let it sit at room temp for a couple of hours.

And put it into a pan that is stainless steel, or enamel wear or glass. And turn your oven on about 170-190 degrees (lowest setting) and let it cook, stirring about every 15 minutes until you get the consistency of mashed potatoes. If you want HP soap. If it has milk in it you may need a whisk, I find that helps. And it will change consistencies while you do this.

If you want to CP it again, put the pan on the stove top and simmer on low until it's all melted and gooey. Pour into your molds and let cure as you usually would.

Hope that helps.....

faithy said:
If you want to CP it again, put the pan on the stove top and simmer on low until it's all melted and gooey. Pour into your molds and let cure as you usually would.

Hope that helps.....

I've never heard of this before... I think I might give it a try!

Your just melting it down, but not cooking it to evaporate the liquid out as you would with HP soap.

I've done both methods........ :oops:

faithy said:
Your just melting it down, but not cooking it to evaporate the liquid out as you would with HP soap.

I've done both methods........ :oops:

Do I keep the lid on the pot while I simmer it? :oops:

I didn't......

but i used super low heat and it wasn't on for very long, just long enough to melt it.

Thanks! I'm trying it right now... I want to start making a plain base and rebatch my FOs and EOs into it (Because I gel high and it always kills my EO's...plus they say rebatch is ready to use sooner)... but the Oven method doesn't get it smooth enough and as soon as I pull the lid off and start to stir, it chunks up... no way I can add anything to it...

I use the oven method to rebatch but I don't use a lid I cover it with foil and pop it in. I only use a couple of tbs per pound. If your going to use your own fresh cp soap don't add any water because your not making your base with discounted water. The bases I purchase are discounted therefore allowing me to add some water to it. When I use the oven my soaps become like mush potatoes! I love that way though I've tried others like micro/pot I don't like it. Just my preference though. Keep trying although yes its a lot of work but its a lot of fun and you've taught yourself to make a rustic bar!

ETA: I put a recipe for rebatch in the soapmaking section if you'd like to try it. I'll be adding some more tonight.

Cool I will- your right about my bases and the GM base turns out works the best, I keep going on with it- I do like to do it, naybe I'll try the oven 1 more time and see..Thanks!

I rebatched about 8 pounds today...between all the grating and stirring and pot lifting... I swear if I did this everyday I'd have Pop-Eye arms!!

Wasn't sure if you wanted pictures of the soaps...or of my BIG buff arms... :lol:
OrageSpiceCakeRebatch.jpg

FreshLinenRebatch.jpg

ChaiTeaRebatch.jpg

Latest posts

Back