Rebatch Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaccart789

Reaction score
Hi Soapers... I have a question. I decided to chunk up some soap that I made yesterday. I un-molded and it was weeping lots of oil and had a hole from where the white layer (top of soap) met the swirl layers. I have never rebatched before, because I haven't had too many disasters (lucky me).

The soap is quite fresh and soft--almost 24 hours old. Do I need to add liquid? How much liquid for 2lbs?

Its in the crock pot warming. I saved an end that did not have a hole, and not as weepy. I saved it so I can examine and study it later after a few weeks. I have used this recipe before. The only thing I can imagine is that i mismeasured? maybe false trace? The fragrance I have used in salt bar recipes, maybe fragrance? and last maybe it was the TD and how much water I used?

I found online lots of information on soap that is older, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Good chance you won't need to add any water since the soap is so fresh. If you do, just add a teaspoon or so at a time.

I never add water, since it's rebatch it cooks very quickly. I just stir it often and test for zap when it looks like mashed potatoes. My last rebatch took maybe 15-20 minutes.
As for the failed batch, I usually blame it on FOs, lye or oils being too hot, weather, new colourant or just sometimes gremlins.
As long as you can save it, it's all good, it might not look pretty but it will be usable. :)

Thank you everyone! I used a tsp of water and it only took like you said fuzz-juzz, 15-20 min. I appreciate everyone's help! :D

Latest posts

Back