rebatch Q

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CupcakeKisses

Reaction score
ok, I want to make a few pounds of plain soap to rebatch into specialty soaps like cupcakes, etc. when can you rebatch? I dont want to have to wait weeks for the the cupcakes to cure. so do i let the soap cure for a few weeks first? I was thinking of doing a simple crisco recipe, so it wouldnt make the bars too hard. then i can make my cupcakes and use them when they are cooled and hard.

so cure the soap and then rebatch ok with a softer bar soap?

I hope you get what I mean. lol. Im horrible at trying to explain what I mean

I think you can pretty much rebatch right away?

ok, my thought is though, if you rebatch right away, is the lye totally gone after it hardens in the rebatch mold? I want to be able to use it really soon after rebatch

you should let the soap sit for about 24 hours before attempting rebatch. After it cools, the saponification process is complete and there is no more lye left in the soap (if your recipe is correct...make sure you run it through a soapcalc and do a zap/tongue test on the batch after completion to ensure safety!)

after it cools its fair game, you can either use it (I have in the past after 18hrs though it tends to be a bit harsh) or rebatch it :)

hope that helps ya!

Even if you rebatch you still need to allow cure time for hardening but after rebatching it is possible to use the soap. It just won't be hard.

oh, man I tried today and 5 hours later it is in the mold liquidy still. it has a skin, but thats it. dont know if I should trash it or not

did you add any liquid to it before you rebatched it? Adding more liquid than needed makes your rebatch loose therefore needed a lot more time to cure.

yeah too much! lol. Im trying a crockpot method I found. Cross your fingers!

of course, I would not have to scour the net if SOMEONE made a awesome little tutorial........hmmmm, I wonder who could do that?? LOL

LMAO I'm going to try this weekend I have 5 lbs of soap waiting to be rebatched!

If you soap is new you don't need any liquid at all. The cooking in the rebatch will finish saponification and what you will have is a soap which is just like HP and can be use right away.

Just a thought here - what if you made your logs HP? Then it would be ready in about a week or so. Could you then melt and whip it?

Digit

Latest posts

Back