Rebatch or Start Fresh?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmernyer

Reaction score
I made some perfectly lovely soaps with coconut oil, vegetable shortening and olive oil. But they are rather soft even after curing for several weeks. They are sturdy bars but they get used up rather fast.

I'm toying with the idea of rebatching as a means of making them a little harder and therefore lasting a little longer.

I guess my question is can I rebatch the bars of peppermint soap I made - or will that destroy most of their pepperminty goodness? I don't mind adding a little more but peppermint oil is expensive and I don't want to have to use a whole bottle all over again because I rebatched it.

Moving forward - would this be a reasonable way to get my homemade soap to last so we can enjoy it longer?

You need to start fresh with a recipe that makes harder bars. Your recipe is mostly soft oils so its not surprising they get used up quick. Rebatching will cook off a lot of your scent, best to use the soap as is.

For a nice hard bar, try this recipe. Keep in mind though that handmade soap won't last as long as store bought bars.

lard or tallow or palm 50%
olive oil 25%
coconut 20%
castor oil 5%

What percentage SF would you recommend for this?

Thanks! :)

How long is "several weeks"? If they are 4 weeks old, you'll probably find that they are harder and last longer when they are 8 weeks. With a high percentage of olive oil, they will probably be even better at 3 or 4 months.

Back