Rebatch Lye Crystals

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Reaction score
Salting out may or may not get rid of the actual crystals and I personally think it makes for an awful soap, but that is my opinion and I find it simply not worth the trouble. I have lost very large expensive batches of lotions because of a stupid mistake but life moves on. I am sorry I would trash all the soaps and chalk it up for a very hard-learned lesson. I do have to wonder though why after one bad batch you continued on with the same process and made several more. It is certainly your call but I know what I would do to be on the safe side and yes I closed my eyes tossed the 6 lb batch of soap due to the same reason and I was a well-seasoned soap maker when this happened. I simply was very distracted the day it happened.

When do you add your salt and sugar if you are freezing your milk? Your additives need to be dissolved separately in water and added into your oils separate from your milk/lye solution. Also, this is the drawback with using frozen milks and purees you really cannot tell if all the lye is fully dissolved and risk this happening which is why many use the 50/50 method of dissolving their lye in 50% of the allotted liquid as water then dissolving your additives in the milk which is not frozen but very cold, or warm a portion of the milk to dissolve the additives and freeze the milk to slushy.
Very good question and advice

Reaction score
Through my research (which is extensive) the lye crystals do not form but they float to the outside of the bars. They are not present until at least a few days into the cure. And I was not checking my soap every day as it cured, unfortunately.
They are also hard to spot, so it really wasn’t intentional. I would not waste money on purpose, haha!
🤔

Green Mountain Farm

Reaction score
Cool! What is your EO source? If you don't mind?
I actually found small containers at Hobby Lobby that are good quality (surprisingly!) but I was just using those to experiment with different combinations. I buy all my bulk EOs at Whole Sale Supplies Plus. They have free shipping and amazing prices but it usually takes them at least 2 weeks to ship. So plan ahead lol!