Rebatch in Double Boiler

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillipJ

Reaction score
Am trying to melt 3 day old soap down in a double boiler tonight.

A little over 50% tallow and other oils. Made it in a blender. CP. Let dry for 3 days and shreaded it in a meat grinder, added about a cup of water to 12 oz. of soap. Been about an hour now, and it don't seem to be melting too good.

Wondering if I should add more water or put it directly on a low flame?

It's about as thick as melted carmel. I think it needs to be more liquidy in order to mix the additives in.

Too impatient maybe.

First of all, there is no need to add any water to the 3 day old shredded up soap, especially when used in a double boiler. The most water you might have added is a teaspoon full. A person may add a teaspoon more oils to additionally up the lye discount, but not water. You are HPing the soap, and a long HP time is involved with that much water! You need to melt the graded soap not add water. I re-batch in a Crock Pot under direct heat and do not add anything to 3 day oil soap. Low and slow, stirring every so often to prevent scalding. That's it. When melted, pour or scoop into your mold and let set back up.

Paul.... :wink:

Thank you Paul.

I probably have too much water in it now. Guess it'll just take longer to age. I'll put in on a low flame then. Thanks.

PhillipJ said:
Thank you Paul.

I probably have too much water in it now. Guess it'll just take longer to age. I'll put in on a low flame then. Thanks.

Yea, you need to get rid of 99% of that water, and it will be fine. Just cook it slowly and let the steam leave the soap. Be sure to stir it once in a while! :wink:

LOL. No to liquid soap.

All of a sudden it turned to "pudding like." I added my some fragrance and cinnaman to it. Too thin now!

I got it in the oven at 170, and will check it every 15 minutes. This is my 1st try at soap making. So far I think it's going ok. A few minor mishaps. The burned tallow smell went away after the lye hit it, and a little excess water, no big deal.

With no help at my side, this site is great. Thank you for the quick responses.

After I make up enough soap for the season, I am going to try my hand at making sodium hydroxide from salt.

Me too. :? I know that it is done by running an electrical current through salt or salt water. :? I don't think I would ever attempt it though. I don't know if I could/would get consistant results. I do not know of any "recipes" on the net, but this is interesting......at least.

Latest posts

Back