rebatch HP to correct scent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabadgley

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've gone bananas! I was doing strictly CP as a soaper, but once I did a rebatch, I decided to try HP. Now I'm hooked on both :D Anyway, I recently did a HP batch, and the scent didn't quite come out the way I wanted it to. So my questions are:

1) Can you rebatch HP soap, and if so, is the process any different from rebatching CP soap?

2) What happens to the original scent when you rebatch? Do I just need to supplement what was already there, or do I start over from scratch? Specificially, I blended petitgrain, sweet orange, vanilla, benzoin, and ylang ylang. The petitgrain dominates, so I wanted to bring up the vanilla, orange, and ylang ylang scents.

3) This thought process also led me to the question of If I've got a bunch of soap ends and deformed bars that I want to glop together in a rebatch so I don't have to throw away soap, should I group scents? Like not put rose soap pieces in with lemongrass, or lemon in with pumpkin spice?

Thanks y'all!

Im not sure about the HP rebatch, but as far as the scent - mix away.

Some of our favorites are rebatched, I just sent my daughter 3 lbs of a rebatch my kids fight over. They named it Purple #3. It's clean laundry, baby powder, rose, ocean, lime and pink sugar. Sounds stinky, but it smells amazing.

I am trying to duplicate the scent, no luck so far.

I am new to soap making. However I'm not new to essential oils. I have done about 20 batches of soap so far. I started with cold process but soon got addicted to hot process. I use my crook pot on the WARM setting for both new batches and for rebatching. I had some scents that didn't turn out the way I wanted too so I did a rebatch with a mix of a ginger batch and eucalyptus batches. I have a chronic pain condition so been making my own pain recipes massage oils for years. In the rebatch I added sweet birch, little more ginger and a dab of clove oil. I noticed when I rebatch it seems to cook the essential oils right out that were already in the soap. I have not done any soap with petitgrain though but I do know that it can over power a lot. Although I am not an expert, I might suggest to shred and melt the soap slowly. Add in the new scents and stir well. Take a dab out, cool it quickly (I drop a glob on an ice cube) rub it between your fingers and smell. Also it seems after the soap sits and drys, the scent will lessen too. I save prescription bottles and any other little bottles I can get my hands on that a tooth pick will fit inside. I dip a tooth pick in my essential oils and quickly put them in a bottle. Only one tooth pick per scent. Add all the scented picks you want to mix in a bottle, go to a different room, open the bottle and smell. If I have to add more of one kind of scent use a clean tooth pick. Hope this helps.

MsBrenda

MsBrenda said:
Although I am not an expert, I might suggest to shred and melt the soap slowly. Add in the new scents and stir well. Take a dab out, cool it quickly (I drop a glob on an ice cube) rub it between your fingers and smell.

MsBrenda

Oh, this helps tremendously! Thank you so much!

I had the same problem recently was using the new labcolors from BB and made a beautfiul lime and fushia(came out pink) Hot process swirl and I added my scent way to early, so the soap was beautiful but no scent. I cut up about a third of the loaf into chunks of different sizes and mixed up a batch of CP soap with the proper amount of scent and mixed the chunks into it. It would have been beautiful but I used a maganese violet oxide powder and it came out grey beige(but the chunks came out beautiful). I tryed rebatching before and personally it seemed like a lot of work. I am going to mix up a batch of HP tomorrow and color it red and use Strawberry Rhubard FO and mix the pink and lime chunks into it and see how that comes out. Good Luck. PS I lived in Tampa for 28 years.. moved to VA about 4 years ago.

Latest posts

Back