really strong cold brew coffee in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@makes_scents, love the color of that soap! The added sprinkles down the middle will look so good in bars. That is the color I drink my coffee... all princessed and sugared and girlified up. Some coffee, mostly cream. Can't wait to see them in bars!

I've made coffee scented soap a couple of times, see pics. If you just use coffee and no FO then you won't get any scent and the color will be a shade of brown. In my coffee soap, the bottom layer is uncolored and the top layer is lightened with TD. I scent mine with espresso/coffee and almond FO and it smells amazing and I'm not a coffee drinker at all.

beautiful!!

Today, I finished my experiment. I started with about half a pound of coffee grounds and over 3 cups of cold water, after 4 days of brewing, I ended up with little over 2 cups of really dark coffee which I had refrigerated.
I chose to make a small one lb batch or 18oz rather. Needed about 6 oz of liquid for a 33% lye conc, so took 3 oz of this coffee, added my sugar, CA and SL in it, mixed well and poured in the oils. Measured out my 50% lye solution and went to work under exhaust fan. It did stink a little but nothing horrible. It ended up really deep, luscious brown but absolutely no coffee smell. So, poured in half of my 1 oz tester of coffee house FO from AHRE. No acceleration whatsoever. Lightened up 1 large and one small portion, poured in layers in my rectangular individual molds. I so wish I had done a bigger batch to go in my regular 5 lb mold and done drop swirls, but hey there's always a next time, well hopefully. And I still have lot more of that coffee left. Can't wait till I unmold and show it to you guys. Hope it doesn't lighten up while setting.
I think I like that FO, quite a bit.

Guess I'm showing my brave side in sharing this crappy soap pic with you folks. These were pretty soft on day two and I kept tugging at the mold to see if they release. They didn't, so I unmold them 6 days after making them. Unclean sides and lot of ash on tops, but totally digging the color they ended up. May be I will do better with the loaf mold and I'm also seriously considering in investing in a bud cutter.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I make a coffee soap using cold strong coffee to dissolve the lye (it stinks, luckily goes away), then add in two grinder caps of ground coffee (dry not used grounds) to a 3# total oil recipe, and non deodorized cocoa butter (18%). The soap has a subtle coffee cocoa scent. When used, it's a great scrub and the grounds release a slight coffee scent.

Latest posts

Back