Real 'Ocean" scent ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
spin from the Salty Mariner thread....

What do you have for a TRUE OCEAN / SEASIDE scent and from where did you get it.....how well did it behave?

I have gotten a few that just do NOT smell like a true ocean. slightly but no cigar.

I got Sun & Sand from NG and while it is an ok scent, it doesn't smell like a beach or Dunes or anything :(

I live in Massachusetts, we go to Cape Cod and Gloucester a lot, I know the smell of Ocean, good days and bad.
secretly I like the bad smell days, it is stronger lol

I like Salty Air from soapsupplies.net. This one reminds me of sitting on my boat in the Harbor on good and bad days. We were the last set of docks so we had a channel and rocks (white :rolleyes:), so there were some bad days. This fragrance reminds me of those not so long ago days. Of course all harbors and beach areas smell differently, but Salty Air is a very nice realistic fragrance in my opinion.

Sea Salt & Driftwood from WSP - it's expensive, but holds well, if you don't mind deceleration it works well for intricate designs.
Sea Mist from Candle Science - I haven't soaped with it yet though, but the OOB is awesome!
Ocean Waves from NG - OOB has a bit of floral in it but not overwhelming. Haven't soaped with that one yet either, maybe next week, I'm getting low on Ocean scented soap...

Sea Salt & Driftwood from WSP - it's expensive, but holds well, if you don't mind deceleration it works well for intricate designs.
Sea Mist from Candle Science - I haven't soaped with it yet though, but the OOB is awesome!
Ocean Waves from NG - OOB has a bit of floral in it but not overwhelming. Haven't soaped with that one yet either, maybe next week, I'm getting low on Ocean scented soap...

Let me DEFINITELY know about the Ocean Wave, I love NG :)

@Lin19687 Shoot, I'll send ya an ounce and you can try it yourself... I have some soap that needs to leave my house too.... bahahaha!

@Lin19687 Shoot, I'll send ya an ounce and you can try it yourself... I have some soap that needs to leave my house too.... bahahaha!

NO! no givzies backzies

China Rain - NG is nice. It's fresh but has a slight floral in the background. It plays well in CP most times and sticks well too.
I had an old China rain that I really liked but it is a bit too floral for an Ocean for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooohh! Yes, I have NG's China Rain too. Let me know if you want me to send that too. I will also send the Sea Salt & Driftwood for you. [My husband wouldn't let me send your soap back if I tried. It works too well for his oily skin. Between your soap and his salt bars, he no longer feels like "a greasy monkey" at the end of the day.]

Pacific Pearl & Sea Salt (2 different FOs) from BB have a realistic scent to them. Both have a seaweed/kelpiness to them that haven't found elsewhere. They are a little off-putting OOB but mellow during the cure.

Which one is more salty? I'd love a good ocean seaweed scent

The sea salt is more salty and smells kind of....humid? If that makes any sense...like the ocean air. You get a little of a melon scent, but overall it's hard to describe but not really a crisp floral/ozone like most ocean scents. I'll say it again, both of these are pretty bad out of the bottle. I was kinda disappointed with them at first but I grew to appreciate them.

@Obsidian and @Lin19687 I have Sea Salt samples from both Bramble Berry and MMS. They smell very similar. I also have Sea Salt and Driftwood from WSP, Sea Kelp from RE, and Sea Witch from Fragrance Buddy. PM me if you want sniffies/samples of any. Obviously, I am looking for the same salty ocean with no floral/rain/laundry/perfume notes that so many seem to have. These are all pretty good.

@Lin19687 I live in New England, too, (Why are there no suppliers up here???) and I'm always searching for the right ocean-y scent. I agree with BA's Sea Kelp and regarding BB's Sea Salt, @Obsidian just know that @Cellador is right about it being "off-putting." I can't get around it at all. I actually gagged because it smelled like fish. I suppose it's authentic! I'm happy to know it mellows out in cure, and I'm curious to know what happens to it, but I can't get that far.

I decided to finally take the FO plunge and just ordered some Sea Salt from BB. I can handle the smell of seaweed OOB given the descriptions some of the reviewers provided about how it aged. It sounds perfect for some of the soaps I’m making.
Let us know what you think. Seems like I’m not the only one looking for a non floral ocean scent.

I like Sea Breeze from Nature's Oil. It's light but fragrant.

Pacific Pearl & Sea Salt (2 different FOs) from BB have a realistic scent to them. Both have a seaweed/kelpiness to them that haven't found elsewhere. They are a little off-putting OOB but mellow during the cure.
I need to check these out. My soaps all built around a beach theme.

Oooh, these look amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, for hijacking this conversation thread but I've been looking for ocean smelling soap for sometime or scents I can use in my home to get that smell. I used to buy soap from on person for some time but she no longer makes soaps and has moved on with getting married, family and life. It's been about 5 years without using her soaps that I was in love with. Do any of you all here sell your soaps. I'm mainly looking for that sea, beach, or saltwater smell of the ocean. She gave me instructions to make soaps and where to get the ingredients and oils but I think it's way too much for me to start and get right...fine tune. I'll leave that up to you soap makers that do this a lot. I'm afraid of burning my skin off if I make it lol.

Sorry, for hijacking this conversation thread but I've been looking for ocean smelling soap for sometime or scents I can use in my home to get that smell. I used to buy soap from on person for some time but she no longer makes soaps and has moved on with getting married, family and life. It's been about 5 years without using her soaps that I was in love with. Do any of you all here sell your soaps. I'm mainly looking for that sea, beach, or saltwater smell of the ocean. She gave me instructions to make soaps and where to get the ingredients and oils but I think it's way too much for me to start and get right...fine tune. I'll leave that up to you soap makers that do this a lot. I'm afraid of burning my skin off if I make it lol.
Try melt and pour - it's an easy way to get started and all you need are melt and pour base, a bowl, a spatula, some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, a mold and the fragrance oil. Lots of tutorials on YouTube to watch.

I really like Sea Salt from BB. To my nose, it’s low tide/exposed kelp on the Oregon or Maine coastline. So far I’ve only used it in salt bars. One of my sniffers detected a little melon, as @Cellador mentioned above, but I wouldn’t have come up with that.

I feel like I posted this link at some point, maybe on another thread. If you’re wondering about the origins of the “scent of the sea” you might find this article interesting: https://www.livescience.com/4313-key-smell-sea.html

Latest posts

Back