ready to duplicate the recipe... large quantities?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missjulesdid

Reaction score
Ok, So FINALLY after much experimenting I am happy with my basic soap recipe... (though I still need to work out one that is all veg)

BUT... it has too many oils and it's a pain in the butt to make since it contains 10 base oils.... (castor, almond, AKO, coconut, Neem, Olive, Palm, PKO, Shea Butter, and Tallow) So can I just make up a huge batch of the oil and then measure it out as I need it? I mean it seems like that should work, but are there any problems with doing this that I'm not aware of????Sorry, Just as I'm getting the hang of things, I feel like a complete newbie all over again now that i'm trying to reproduce the soaps on a larger scale.

Help?

You can make a huge batch of oils, and measure it out as you need it. That is exactly what Soapmaker Man does all the time.

I do this process as well. It works wonders.
the only thing i do different than Soapmaker Man is make my lye during the process. I cant have premade lye around because of my children.

Just make so many gallons and volia...
Make sure you stir all the way thru the bottom so the oils dont seperate.

good luck

Im not sure if I misunderstood somewhere but Im pretty sure soapmakerman (paul) does not keep his oils mixed, he keeps a premixed lye solution.

I think having a premixed lye solution would be find, however when you premix oils..theyre all at different densities, so that means you will get stratification within the oils (ie the 'heavier' ones settle to the bottom of the mixture, forcing the lighter oils to the top...) youll have the oils in layers and depending on whether they are more or less saturated some may solidify.

I think it would be fine to mix all your oils and keep them mixed so long as each time you use them, you heat the mixture to around 90F or so and mix the oils steadily so that they are all well mixed/melted together instead of having stratification.

In order to get the oils to be somewhat homogenous you would need an emulsifier (not sure how that plays into soapmaking but just for the sake of science..)

EDIT: oops just saw you said something about that too smell!

Ian

Ian, i premix my oils with no problem and i do not have to reheat them when its time to make soap.

when you melt all the oils together..i leave my oils in a cool place. they do not solidfy back up. I stir the bucket all the way thru the bottom because of the stearic acid in the palm oil...make the oils even.

i make 5 gallon containers at the time..it sits for months sometimes...and they are still in liquid form.

Try Ian...you may like it.

ill definitely give it a try once i can procude a master batch that im happy with, still working on that one!!

Ok so i was wrong then, I wasnt aware that the stearic acid helps in that respect! thanks for the info! (always learning!)

Ian

I'd be curious to know what happens with a blend where the fats that are either all solid at room temperature, or where the majority of the fats are solid (say, 75% lard and 25% olive, or some similar combination).

My guess is that since fats are always soluble within each other, the mix will stay uniform even as it solidifies. I could be wrong for all I know.

--Metal Substance

it doesnt solidfy back up...when you melt everything together.. and stir it...but it in a bucket..and it will get a lil clumpy..but you can stir it...and have no problem...

this is how i make soap...all the time..

i have not made soap since new year's day...and its still in the bucket..liquid..

Palm, coconut, soybean, olive

does not hardent up.. just have to stir it evenly because of the stearic acid that is in the Palm...it settles down to the bottom...so you have to stir it good.

does that hold constant even if your recipe doesnt have palm in it?? or do you just need to make sure that if your using this method the soap has a high or comparable stearic acid content compared to that of palm oil?? just because right now the soap im making is just EVolive oil and CO)

no..

just do you recipe as normal.
if all you use is evoo and coconut...than that is all that should be in your bucket.

if you have a 5gal bucket..resize your recipe to fit a large container. melt your coconut oil, pour it in the bucket, add your evoo into the bucket..

and stir together...there you have it...a master batch

everytime you want to make soap..stir evenly through the oils...you may have a lil clumpness depends on where your located...

if you need to heat it up, you can...make your lye and your done:)

I cant wait to develop a batch Im comfortable with, Ive got alot more refinements (and have to get a job first so i can buy some more oils and such...i cant wait to get started again though...!)

Ian I had the same problem in that I had all these grand ideas but no oils.. now i have tons of different oils and had so much fun developing the recipe.

Never in a million years did I think my favorite recipe would include TALLOW, but it does.. Now I'll have to develop an alternative for the vegetarian population!

Like Smelli says, the master batch does not separate. My recipes are about 60/40 hard to soft oils and at room temperature, it is like thin pudding consistency. I dip out with an ice cream scoop the ounces I need for my batch size, and measure out my premixed 50% lye solution. Like Smelli, I make big master batches of my 2 recipes in a 3 gallon plastic bucket with a lid.

Paul

Back