Reabsorbing Fragrance Oil into HP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
All the reviews I read about the fragrance oil I'm using said it accelerated...fast... So I thought I'd HP, and just stir fast...lol...
It riced first, then turned to soap on a stick, and gelled almost immediately. I got it in the mold, but now there's a lot of oozing oil...It's been sitting for almost 8 hours, and the top seems to have less oil on it, but there's still a lot on the sides and bottom...
Are the chances good it will reabsorb overnight? Or should I take other steps now? I've never had this happen, and I searched for other threads similar, but I couldn't find anything that started with an HP cook...

IMG_20150721_193603.jpg

Last edited:
Did you add your FO at the beginning of the cook? When making HP, the scent should be added at the very end after its fully saponified and ready to be molded.
How much oil is a lot? Just a oily layer or is it puddled up under the soap? If there is too much, you'll have to rebatch.

I added the FO after the cook. Because I'd never used this FO, I only made a 1lb batch, with a tried and true recipe, with .5 oz. of the FO. It's a slick layer at this point. It started out puddled on top in places, but those have gone away. The excess makes the soap slide out, and leaves the oil on the sides and bottom.

Did you add your FO at the beginning of the cook? When making HP, the scent should be added at the very end after its fully saponified and ready to be molded.
How much oil is a lot? Just a oily layer or is it puddled up under the soap? If there is too much, you'll have to rebatch.

I'd wait a bit longer, it may absorb more. If its still really oily tomorrow, I would rebatch. Especially if you cut into the soap and oil leaks out.

If your soap was fully cooked, it shouldn't have riced and seized, FO does that because it reacts with the lye. It also wouldn't have went into gel if it had been fully cooked.

Ok. Thanks. It really was odd...something I'd never seen with HP before. I didn't get a zap, so I assumed it was good to go...live and learn

I'd wait a bit longer, it may absorb more. If its still really oily tomorrow, I would rebatch. Especially if you cut into the soap and oil leaks out.

If your soap was fully cooked, it shouldn't have riced and seized, FO does that because it reacts with the lye. It also wouldn't have went into gel if it had been fully cooked.

Back