Re: Palm Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftgirl08

Reaction score
Is Palm Kernel Oil derived from the forest where the Orangatangs are?
I know the palm oil is.

Yes unfortunately, both from different parts of the same plant. So glad to see other folks here conscious of the eco impact of our ingredient choices.

I started soaping with a tub of PKO that I 'inherited". When it ran out, I substituted coconut oil to replace the PKO in the original recipe. I am very happy with the lather, bar hardness, cleansing, bubbles, creaminess, and so on with CO (76F). I have not missed the PKO.

craftgirl08 said:
Is Palm Kernel Oil derived from the forest where the Orangatangs are?
I know the palm oil is.
Sometimes. But often you can now get sustainable palm oil and palm kernel oil from established plantations which means that new areas are not being deforested and habitats are not being destroyed.

Isn't it renewable? Meaning it is harvested from the tree and regrows? So the sustainable plantations just don't cut their trees?

Many palm oil plantations aren't sustainable because they clearcut rainforests to plant the palm trees. I don't think I need to explain why deforestation is a horrible thing, but one of the effects is the destruction of orangatang habitats, so they die.

Personally, I've never used PO or PKO in soapmaking, but I've been thinking about getting some sustainable PO to play around with.

Soapy Gurl said:
Isn't it renewable? Meaning it is harvested from the tree and regrows? So the sustainable plantations just don't cut their trees?

It should all be, but not all plantations use responsible practices - it's sometimes cheaper just to raze new land than to properly care for current growing areas.

Responsibly farmed palm on existing plantations is sustainable.

http://ran.org/problem-palm-oil-factsheet

Above is a link with a fact sheet about palm plantations from from rainforest action network.

While it is true that some palm oil is cultivated sustainably, the increased demand has caused a lot of further deforestation in Indonesia.

My choice has been to reduce the demand from my end. Some of my customers are glad I use no palm oil in my soaps. Making our own soaps gives us the power to choose our ingredients, it is the beauty of it, isn't?

Unfortunately is still creeps up in all sorts of food products and many other household items, and you can bet those are not from sustainable plantations.

I like palm kernel oil a lot but it's not obtainable to me except through mail order. It's cheaper than CO but involves shipping charges so maybe works out to be about the same? Unless you are ordering other things and by flat rate. The eco part of it is very important to consider though.

Orangutans are predicted to be extinct in the wild in 40 years (meaning it will be my generation's fault) and the sole reason is palm farms. Orangutans are shot and killed if they try to return to their homes which are now farms. Palm oil, palm kernel oil, amongst other names are the culprits. I use babassu and love my soap so much more than any palm oil one I have used. I also read the labels of every item I buy from soap to food. I vote with my dollars because it is the only vote that anyone pays attention to. palm oil in food is also very bad for your heart. But it is cheap so there you go. Sad, save a couple of bucks but lose an animal that shares, what, 95% of our DNA? How tragic. :cry:

I was already resolute about not using palm oil in my soap, but that opposition to it was strengthened after watching an episode of a show called Last Chance To See. The shot of palms as far as the eye could see just made me so angry.

Ow Serfmunke that is sad :(

I don't use palm, when I did it was sustainable, but at the time LUSH started handing out fliers in malls etc stating they were now palm free and that 'sustainable' wasnt 'sustainable'. Because of their influence I decided to go palm free and love it. I have fewer cosmetic issues, and have come up with a recipe I like better.
I try to avoid Palm when I can, because I know the bigger companies will opt for the cheaper Palm option which won't be sustainable, but it's hard, as it's in so many things.

Each to their own, but i feel better not using it.

Very sad.

I use 'sustainable', but have always wondered if it really is...

I wouldn't mind dabbling in making some trial batches without Palm. Anyone want to share a recipe that isn't their livelihood? Ideally without ANIMAL fats, thanks.

Before I made my own soap, I bought from a soapmaker at a local market. She doesn't use Palm, but she does use RiceBran. However, I just really loathe her soap, as it's gritty. That's definitely something I would want to avoid.
:)

Argh! I just bought the hubby and baby's favorite trail mix, got home, and to my horror, palm oil was on the list. I forgot the mix has chocolate and other chips in it :cry: My husband just rolled his eyes when I told him this was the last bag and I would have to write a letter to Trader Joes. How supportive is he :roll:

When I make soap the recipe is any mixture of the following:

Olive Oil
Organic Castor oil (non organic has harmful affects to the human handlers)
Babassu or a Coconut if I cannot get Babassu but so far no problems
Flax (made in Canada or USA :D )
Cocoa or shea butter (fair trade)

My standard recipe is around these percentages:

OO 50-60%
bab or CO 20-30%
Castor 5-10%
Flax 5-15%
Cocoa or shea 5%

I mix all or some and love the super creamy, lathery bars I get. Mess around with those in the soap calc, you will find something amazing and feel positive about the source of your oils!!!

Latest posts

Back