RE: Another storage question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapsavvy

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a dilemna. Because I only have a certain amount of space in my condo, I came up with the idea that maybe I could turn the power off my free standing freezer and use it to store my soaping supplies.
Does anyone see that being a problem? It's dark inside and pretty much air tight. HURRY, let me know so I don't go and toss everything out and find I can't use it for that purpose. Thanks in advance. :think::think::think::think:

I personally would not recommend an airtight space for curing your soap. It needs fresh air so the water in the soap can evaporate and harden.

The only problem I see with that is the possibility of mold growth in your freezer if you don't completely clean and dry it before closing it. If all of your supplies are in air-tight containers with original seals on them, there wouldn't be an issue of contamination. However, if you are storing an open bottle of olive oil in there (for example) there is a possibility of contamination even though the lid is on tightly. An unopened bottle with the original seal? Nope. Can you leave the freezer on at its highest setting so that it is cold but not "freezing" cold, or leave it slightly propped open for air flow? You can achieve that by putting a few refrigerator magnets where the door would meet the body.

I know people who store beer supplies in turned off refrigerator cabinets - as long as the inside stays clean and dry I dont see why not. They are in and out enough that it never goes stale or musty inside. You can add charcoal or dehumidifiers to help.

FWIW I just recently got a Billy Bookcase from Ikea with a white glass door. Its a nice small footprint, and unobtrusive in the living room.

Last edited:
Also, I think if you unplug a fridge or freezer and let it sit idle for a long time, there's a good chance it will need maintenance to work as a fridge/freezer again.

Get bed risers to raise your bed 8" or so and put soap under your bed.

Thanks Teresa, I would totally sterilize the freezer with bleach and let it completely dry out before storing anything in it. I'm only going to store my M & P soap blocks in it. No oils are anything like that. My plan is to leave the soap blocks in their original packaging that it arrived to my home in. Which is a white plastic and the box. My understanding is that the melt & pour soap bases dry out, so I thought my air-tight freezer would have been ideal to preserve it until I'm ready to use it. Ok, thanks for your help and let me know your thoughts.

Back