Razor bumps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue1969

Reaction score
Hi, I know there has been a LOT of posts about shave soap, but I wonder if anybody has any experence with making a soap that prevents and takes away razor bumps? I have never made shaving soap before, but had a lot of requests this weekend for a soap that can prevent and heal razor bumps.

I have read all the posts and see that stearic acid in important, but, has anybody ever made a pure tallow shave soap?

Can the experienced shave soap makers please advise me?

Sorry, but pure tallow is not going to lather well enough without something to create more lather. That is usually achieved with a bit of coconut oil, and often some sugar.

As for the razor bumps, I'd recommend a post-shave toner of some sort.

Hi, I know there has been a LOT of posts about shave soap, but I wonder if anybody has any experence with making a soap that prevents and takes away razor bumps? I have never made shaving soap before, but had a lot of requests this weekend for a soap that can prevent and heal razor bumps.

I have read all the posts and see that stearic acid in important, but, has anybody ever made a pure tallow shave soap?

Can the experienced shave soap makers please advise me?
No 'soap' is going to heal razor bumps and if you do come up with something that does or prevents them, then you are getting into 'drug' territory and will need to have said product tested and approved by the FDA and licensed to sell it.

The best way to prevent razor bumps is to shave your legs in a warm environment; like during a bath or hot shower.

Almost all irritation issues can be resolved with technique and going easy with the blade.

@Blue1969 With regards to recipe-I would say you're going to have to experiment. There's a lot of variables. Stearic is recommended for the stability of the lather, it's thick and stays around forever. Don't need a lot of big fluffy bubbles like you'd get from CO, you want tight, thick, slick lather. Ease of lather is also a consideration, not enough CO or too much SA might yield a product that doesn't lather at all. You gotta experiment.

Last edited:
Back