raw soap splash in eye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elly

Reaction score
Just wanted to share the horrible experience I had yesterday while blending soap a drop went into my eye, it really burned, I went into a state of panic thinking I was already blind, run into the bathroom and flushed eyes with water for at least 20 minutes, my eye was very sore and terribly red I could barely open it, didn't know what to do to make it feel better then I remembered my trusted old aloa vera plant, I put so much of the gel into eye it got all glued up, kept gel in for many hours, next day eye was fine........that was a close call. Wasn't wearing my goggles :oops: Lesson Learned !!!!!

I can relate, I DO wear glasses when Iam making soap, but took off to clean crock, it splashed up in my eye, I was glad it was hp.

Jimminy crickets! Glad you are ok. You should have it checked by a doctor, though. Srsly - eyes, you only get the two and you need both.

Googles!!!

Lesson learned

Close call. Good lesson for all of us. I always wear my goggles, but I have a disposable respirator mask, so I think why not use it when I make soap. Well it didn't work well with my goggles. My goggles got so fogged up that I couldn't see. So I decided that I had to get the mask off to finish mixing my lye. I didn't wash my gloves off throughly enough and when I removed my mask I touched the side of my face and ended up with 3 small lye burns on my face. They were the size of small pimples , but hurt and took about 2 weeks to heal. I have always told my children not to be discouraged by their mistakes, "We learn more from our mistakes than from our successes." I bet you never forget those goggles again.

Geez! I'm so glad you're ok.

I'm really bad about not always wearing goggles. No more. I'm wearing them every single time now.

Holy Crap! Glad youre alright! I had it splash up and hit my lip once...I was trying to wipe it off with my soapy glove... I ended up grabbing paper towel and water... Keeps me on my toes now!

It is indeed a scary experience, it is not that I forgot my goggles I just didn't think I needed them since I thought I was so "experienced " got over confident but now I realise how silly I was, even though I find goggles pretty annoying will have to bear it, lye burns are nasty on skin but in the eye a different story I am glad I haven't sustained permanent damage to my sight, the eye looks and feels healthy but I will follow carebear's advice and get my doctor to look at it. I have had a few splashes or like foresthome had rubbed my face with dirty gloves but luckily I learned a long time ago about lavender EO being the best remedy for burns applied pure right after rinsing, it is a miraculous oil of course it is not suitable for the eyes but for any other part of body, it avoids getting blisters and scarring. Gratia your experience is scary... a piece of lye in the eye would be very dangerous, glad you are ok. Thank you all for reading my post hope this helps us all to be more cautious when handling lye :wink:

Wow, I'm glad you are ok... did it actually get on the eyeball itself? I would think emergency room pain!! wow..

I try to be very careful also, but often leave my forearms exposed and occasionally get a surprise splash on the elbow.. I've sometimes washed the utensils and after 10 seconds realize that it's kinda hurting lol... once, when I first started soaping, i fight clubbed myself and sprinkled a little lye on my wet arm (right next to a sink and vinegar of course) I just wanted to feel it so I wouldn't panic as much if something bad ever does happen... so it makes me grin a little when a new soaper is afraid to zap test lol..

anyway, really glad you are ok.. i agree with everyone else - eyes are important!!

yes right inside the eye ball, stinging and pain follows which gets aggravated by extreme fear of going blind.

Glad your OK. I learned my lesson a couple of months back when I kicked the lye onto my leg. Its still not healed even with aloe, but its great stuff. I'd go to emergency and get it checked.

I went there last year because my eye was red raw from rubbing and was told nothing in there and then they sent me to the eye clinic just in case, only to be told there was a foreign body there and it had ulcerated my eye. Gave me antibiotic drops and had to get a tetanis shot, 5 days later I was given the all clear.

You just don't know if you have done damage.

I got lye in my eye a few months ago. I forgot to where my safety glasses when I was transferring crystals from a 5 gal pail to smaller containers. Had my gloves, but no glasses. Just didn't think. Flushed, flushed, flushed and then the ER flushed 4 times. My eye is ok. After that, I was mixing some lye with aloe juice and the vapor it created got on my glasses which then kind of melted down so that it burned right where the bottom rim meets the face. Since then, I where a face shield, just in case.

Healinya said:
Wow, I'm glad you are ok... did it actually get on the eyeball itself? I would think emergency room pain!! wow..

I try to be very careful also, but often leave my forearms exposed and occasionally get a surprise splash on the elbow.. I've sometimes washed the utensils and after 10 seconds realize that it's kinda hurting lol... once, when I first started soaping, i fight clubbed myself and sprinkled a little lye on my wet arm (right next to a sink and vinegar of course) I just wanted to feel it so I wouldn't panic as much if something bad ever does happen... so it makes me grin a little when a new soaper is afraid to zap test lol..

anyway, really glad you are ok.. i agree with everyone else - eyes are important!!

LOL... that is so funny...

I have soaped myself lots of times on the arms, and you don't notice at first but then it starts to burn a little. I've never had anything major happen but have gotten it on my face several times. I wear glasses but if I didn't I would definitely wear goggles! (I should probably wear them anyway!)

But this is mixed with oils. I can't imagine spilling lye water on myself. After seeing the pictures of the baby who got lye burned I am crazy about being careful with the lye water.

tasha said:
But this is mixed with oils. I can't imagine spilling lye water on myself. After seeing the pictures of the baby who got lye burned I am crazy about being careful with the lye water.

I always think of that boy when I am lazy/slacking and about to soap without proper coverings, and then go get my goggles... I wonder how he healed.. nature's cauldren (I believe) is the poster who shared the pics I am thinking of... does she still post here? I would love to hear that her boy healed fine and has no memories of the event.

Latest posts

Back