Raw shea butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unrefined (AKA raw) shea butter is a dark yellow to brown butter with a nutty to smoky scent.

Refined is a white to light yellow butter with almost no scent.

What you use is up to you. I would use either in balms or soaps, although in balms you need to temper it.

I've been buying raw shea for over a year (maybe not long enough!) and I've never seen any weird stuff everyone is describing. Is tempering just melting & filtering? I use raw shea in my soap & body butters and I've never seen any particles or debris.

I wondered the same thing- if tempering is just melting and filtering?

I've been using shea butter since my late teens and I have only come across a few batches where there was debris in it that said, I normally don't buy the said product, even if it's in a pinch, from one particular supplier. I'm generally able to be lax about where I get my shea butter from since I'm able to get a pretty good quality for cheap.

I have no idea what tempering is

I've been buying raw shea for over a year (maybe not long enough!) and I've never seen any weird stuff everyone is describing. Is tempering just melting & filtering? I use raw shea in my soap & body butters and I've never seen any particles or debris.
If you are not purchasing the full block of around 25 lbs your shea may have already been melted down in order to break down the size. What I purchase comes directly from Ghana in 25-30 lb block. It can have bugs, twigs, peppers, leaves, shells etc

I used to buy it in 8lb tubs so i can believe that. My last purchase was two 25lb blocks. I didn't see anything weird but now i know to watch out for it!!

Tempering is a process of melting and then slowly cooling so that a certain crystalline structure forms. For shea and cocoa butter, this prevents the grainy texture that sometimes melted and cooled butters can get.

Not really needed if you are making soap with it, but can be if you make body creams and such.

It is also used in chocolate to get the high shine melt resistant coating on some chocolate covered candles and fruits.

Tempering is a process of melting and then slowly cooling so that a certain crystalline structure forms. For shea and cocoa butter, this prevents the grainy texture that sometimes melted and cooled butters can get.

Not really needed if you are making soap with it, but can be if you make body creams and such.

It is also used in chocolate to get the high shine melt resistant coating on some chocolate covered candles and fruits.

Oh... Cool beans. Thanks.:D:mrgreen:

Actually yes it does, but do not buy the yellow shea and do not buy shea that comes straight in from Ghana. Trust me you can find all sorts of goodies in raw shea... :p. Buy refined shea that has had most of the good properties refined out and you will not get anything extra in your shea. Ghana tribes are not quite under our control as to how they process their shea

I just read this and I feel it is unfortunate that a few bad batches (or maybe a lot) of shea butter from Ghana has given the country such a bad rap from cmzaha. Ghana has numerous shea butter producers. There are very credible companies processing shea butter there.

You have to do your homework well if you are importing products from a country and find the best source to order from. Yes, as you might have guessed, I am from Ghana and have thoroughly enjoyed this forum until now. Yes you can find some sort of goodies in some shea but that is when people decide to buy from low-cost producers who cut corners. By the way I dont produce shea butter but I am just bleeding for my country.

Allane

I just read this and I feel it is unfortunate that a few bad batches (or maybe a lot) of shea butter from Ghana has given the country such a bad rap from cmzaha. Ghana has numerous shea butter producers. There are very credible companies processing shea butter there.

You have to do your homework well if you are importing products from a country and find the best source to order from. Yes, as you might have guessed, I am from Ghana and have thoroughly enjoyed this forum until now. Yes you can find some sort of goodies in some shea but that is when people decide to buy from low-cost producers who cut corners. By the way I dont produce shea butter but I am just bleeding for my country.

Allane
Just to clarify I never said it was bad. I love my shea that comes straight from Ghana and will use none other. As I mentioned another post I have had crickets in Palm Shortening from Smart & Final. I simply mentioned it is not strained and cleaned perfectly. How you go the idea I was saying it is bad I have no clue. I also love Kpangnan butter,when I can get it. I NEVER said anything bad about your country or butters. I also did not mention my Supplier is from Ghana so do not accuse me of bad mouthing your Country. This was your translation of what I said

Latest posts

Back