Raw/processed Illipe Butter...group sale

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by CTAnton, May 15, 2017.

1. May 15, 2017 #1

CTAnton

CTAnton

CTAnton

DISCLAIMER: SMF is not responsible for any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other transactions between members. All parties enter into transactions at their own will/risk.
    Ive been in contact with the people behind the Masarang Foundation in Indonesia. They are finding ways to sustainably harvest from existing forests as opposed to habitat destruction and then introduction of monoculture(palm plantations).Illipe butter is one of many products being sustainably harvested, providing income for local native peoples. Please visit their website masarang.com for further insights.
    With thanks to our own Carolyn she pointed out that one can purchase illipe butter here in the US with shipping bringing the cost per pound to between 5 and 6 USD. My contact Dirk in Indonesia quoted me a price of USD 10 per kilogram. I doubt we can get the shipping down to directly compete with one of the US suppliers but he is researching that possibility. I'm sure at some point he will chime in at some point to this thread. I'm simply looking for the bulk product to come here and then be distributed to interested parties. I am not looking to profit from this monetarily, I simply want to do the right thing for an organization I think we can all help to continue and thrive in their goals. Thank you for your time!

WeaversPort and Zany_in_CO like this.
  2. May 15, 2017 #2

CaraBou

CaraBou

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter

Do you mean this website: http://masarang.nl/en/ The other domain was for sale.

I like their mission. When corporate farms take over, we not only lose habitat for native species but also native cultures. Sad all the way around.

I don't know anything about illipe butter but I'll be paying attention to see where this goes.

WeaversPort likes this.
  3. May 15, 2017 #3

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity

I'm interested! I'm on rather a tight budget, but I'd like to be able to support an organization that is trying to solve the problem, vs going around the problem! Plus if we can buy bulk, it might help with the costs for everyone.

I also passed the information along to a startup looking for ethnically sourced butters and such. While Florida is far from California, it's at least in the US. That might help others who aren't part of the forum.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  4. May 16, 2017 #4

TheDragonGirl

TheDragonGirl

TheDragonGirl

I'm interested!

5. May 16, 2017 #5

CTAnton

CTAnton

CTAnton

Just to keep you all in the loop....my contact has gone off into the forest to survey some replanted areas. He will check on a cheaper shipping option when he gets back which, by all accounts, should be early next week.....he calls it forest, I'm sure most of us would use the word jungle.....

WeaversPort likes this.
  6. May 17, 2017 #6

CaraBou

CaraBou

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter

Ooh, the jungle... I like jungles. Plants growing on plants growing on plants... and very cool animals too!

WeaversPort likes this.
  7. May 18, 2017 #7

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity

I'm having forest-jungle envy. That sounds like such an incredible thing to get to do..

8. May 18, 2017 #8

CTAnton

CTAnton

CTAnton

I'm ready to pack....as long as I can have a fan at night I'm good...the electric kind that is! LOL I spent 2 days in Miami once in August...all very tolerable until night fall when the breeze dropped, the humidity headed to 100% and the amount of assorted insects on the screen could make for an entomological term paper. I think THEY were looking for an escape!

Millie and WeaversPort like this.