raw fruits and vegetables

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layne

Reaction score
i read somewhere about putting raw puried pumpkin in a soap batch
so was wondering about that
can i use such raw fruits and vegies?
and after its puried what else is needed to do?
just add after all oils and lye are cooked?
or before adding the lye?
should i screen it? (mush threw a screen)

i use a crockpot for hp
fruits an vegies i am considering
mellons, honeydew, cantalop
cucumbers
citris pulp or rinds
apples
mangos
tomatoe? would be good for anyone whos been skunked. lol
bannanas
squashs
cherries
grapes

would this work?
has anyone ever tried any of these?

I have used pureed cucumber and bananas. They soap beautifully. I did not strain the bananas (don't know how I would have done that), but the first time I used cucumber, I strained the water out. Then I had a "duh" moment and decided that was a bad idea. Why not use the whole thing? I did include the peel when I pureed it.

why? i just wonder why people put food in soap, doesnt it rot? you can make very nice soaps with oils and butters.

From your list I've done cucumber juice (juiced the whole thing, peel and all), and tomato (paste).

Not on your list, but I've also done carrot juice and avocado puree, not to mention milks, honey and oatmeal.

Just make sure to use purees or juices in your soap, not chunks. Chunks will go moldy over time, but I've never had any of my soaps with juices or purees go moldy, even over a year down the road.

IrishLass :)

I think the best reason to want to use foods is to get the feeling of "wholeness" equaling healthy.

I did some experimenting with foods....and found the following:

shredded carrots with spices and vanilla make a great carot cake soap...has never gone bad on me... and this was in a rebatched soap

shredded coconut within the soap has never gone bad, but layered on top of the soap, it molded.

Cranberries and orange rind slices within and on top of my soap, both went bad, within a month...dont do this. lol

coffee is terrific

I think thats all the food I've tried, personally. Hope it helps.

I have used pureed:
Carrot
avocado
cucumber
banana
pumpkin
strawberries (and no they don't stay red or pink)

Nope the food does not rot in the soap as long as it's pureed. I really like food soaps, some of them add very nice qualities to the soap.

cool, thanks
but when should it be added?
whats the best way to add it?
i was going to try adding it after the lye is added at trace

I have a fresh food fetish when it comes to soaping. I feel that by adding milk and produce that I am nourishing my skin naturally and I love it! I always add my produce at trace and I have 4 year old food soaps that are just delightful. Never had any rancicity. Have fun! :p

just made....

.....my cranberry soap!
I replaced 1/3 of my water with jellied cranberry, and omitted the sugar that I noramally add to my cp batches since the jellied cranberry had some sugar in it. Added the cranberry at trace, and it turned a lovely pea green that almost immediately went golden. I knew it would do this, so I had some red oxide ready. Not exactly a cranberry color, but close, and we did an 'in pot' swirl, so I can't wait to cut it later today! I used a spiced cranberry fo. I'll try to post a pic after I cut it.
Susan

dagmar88 said:
I've done a mix with pureed tomatoes & carrots in an anti acne soap.

lol this for some reason reminded me of Borscht....which I know is that russian beet stew stuff...lol but i wonder if you could make a Borscht Bar... good for taking all the nasty smell away from people sprayed with skunk...fisherman...gardeners etc....muahahaha... i might have to experiment with this...

kittywings said:
Do you guys tend to sub most if not all of your water with the pureed veggie of choice?

most of it
about 75%
so far so good
the mango soap i did rocks
and the brown sugar apple pie is a knock out

Back