Rave reviews of this soap on amazon...why?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
ingredients list:
saponified oils of carthamus tinctorius (safflower)**, and/or (helianthus annuus) sunflower**, (elaeis guineensis) palm**, and (cocos nucifera) coconut** (with retained glycerin); farm fresh goat milk, honey, lavendula angustifolia (lavender) oil ** Certified Organic

link to the soap:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAOUJ94/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

People have said that it has healed their acne and scars, rashes, various skin problems...

Why would that be? Is it the goat milk? I can't imagine that safflower or sunflower oils could be healing...certainly not the palm or coconut oil, right?

And from what I learned today...safflower and sunflower oils if they are in the greatest quantities, could cause DOS? This is another ingredient list that does not compute in the order that it has been listed, according to my limited knowledge...

Last edited by a moderator:
That soap would actually be qualified as a drug by the FDA as they are making several medial claims about the ingredients used. It can't legally be sold.

However, the ingredients read as if it's nothing more than SFIC glycerin soap, perhaps with a few additives.

Nothing about it looks like glycerin soap to me, it doesn't have any solvents/detergents listed. If the maker used high oleic saffflower and sunflower, its much less likely to get DOS.
Depending on how much coconut it has, it could be a very nice, gentle soap. Many people have skin issues clear up when they switch to handmade soap. Nothing magical about this recipe except its handmade and syndent free, I highly doubt the GM does much either. In my opinion, milks don't really do much besides add a little bit of bubbles, its mostly for label appeal. Soap isn't healing, its just less irritating to most people then the mass produced detergent bars.

hmlove1218 is right about the label though, any claims about soap doing anything besides cleaning you would put it in the drug category making this particular soap illegal since drugs are regulated.

ingredients list:
saponified oils of carthamus tinctorius (safflower)**, and/or (helianthus annuus) sunflower**, (elaeis guineensis) palm**, and (cocos nucifera) coconut** (with retained glycerin); farm fresh goat milk, honey, lavendula angustifolia (lavender) oil ** Certified Organic

link to the soap:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAOUJ94/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

People have said that it has healed their acne and scars, rashes, various skin problems...

Why would that be? Is it the goat milk? I can't imagine that safflower or sunflower oils could be healing...certainly not the palm or coconut oil, right?

And from what I learned today...safflower and sunflower oils if they are in the greatest quantities, could cause DOS? This is another ingredient list that does not compute in the order that it has been listed, according to my limited knowledge...

Don't get excited by these miraculous claims and go searching for the holy grail ingredient.

People have said the exact things about my soaps - my totally non-organic lard soap, non honey or non goat milk soap. My 19 year old friend's dermatologist was wowed after checking on his severe acne and wanted to know what he'd been doing differently. My little one's grandfather has seen huge improvement in his eczema after using my soap, and I have other happy stories from people.

Any skin improvements can be attributed to what's NOT in my soap compared to commercial soap. My own picky skin can attest to that.

Lye destroys/alters nearly everything it touches, and rarely for the better.

Test this yourself - apply honey goats milk to a band aid, wear it on any dry or imperfect skin for 24 hours and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have stated, it all how you spin your sales spiel. But, since I started using handmade soap my skin is so much happier as are many many of my family members.

Agree with above. My cystic acne is almost nonexistent since I stopped believing the "soap is bad for your face" spiel and started using my own soap on my face. Really... Commercial soap is bad for skin, any skin.

My skin, and my whole family's skin, is so much better since I started making and using soap from scratch. It is almost a miracle!!! Only it is about what isn't in the "soap", rather than what actually is in it.

Back